I have already professed my love for shrimp on this blog in my previous post..so i won’t ramble the same things again.Today I m gonna profess my love for mexican food.Okay first things first..I like all kinda mexican food ..of course only chicken & fish based but not burritos!!!! :( Am I crazy…probably…I don’t know why but I am not a big fan of burritos..its a bundle of joy for all mexican food lovers but I just feel that the bundle of joy is oveflowing…with anything & everything under the sun stuffed into a poor tortilla who cant even cry out “HELP”.!!! :) …The poor tortilla suffocates with load and many a times gives up…and bursts open to relieve itself…I am sorry to hurt my husband [who adores burritos] & all the burritos lovers but I guess sometimes in life the phrase ” TO EACH ITS OWN” applies so invariably!
Well what do I talk of others…me and my husband seem to have exchanged vows of contradicting each other silently at the time of wedding I guess..So we had the “opposites” tradition going on in here too.If I am making shrimp tacos at home …why will he not want “chicken” version for GOD’s sake in exchange of giving up going to ‘Chipotle‘!!! I did make him those..but gave it back to him by refusing to click any pics of his chicken version!!! I know it sounds unromantic….but thats the spice factor of our life :)
Well…now the things I like….tacos, tamales, tortadas,chalupas, guacamole etc …but soft tacos top the list. I made shrimp tacos the unconventional, homely way the other day without cheese & sour cream of course and they turned out terrific!So here I share the recipe….well actually there’s no recipe..you can throw in anything which suits your taste buds inside a tortilla and call it by any name you want it …or if you fail to christen it…go my way…”xxxxx” taco….how simple is that?
What I needed
For the Taco:
- 4-5 homemade whole wheat tortillas [You can use store-bought too]
- 1 medium ripe avocado
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1/2 green capsicum, sliced
- 1 tomato sliced
- 4-5 pickled jalapeno [ optional]
- Cilantro/coriander leaves
For the Shrimp:
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 10-15 medium, cleaned, uncooked shrimps [u can use pre cooked shrimp too]
- 1 green chilli, thinly chopped [ optional]
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Crushed Black Pepper
How I did it:
- In a pan heat, heat the oil and tip in the garlic and chopped green chili [if using] and saute for 1-2 minutes.Add the shrimp to it and cook untill they change color to orange…About 1 minute.
- Season with salt & pepper and turn off the heat.Add the lemon juice.Set aside.
- In the same pan saute the red onion & capsicum for about 2 minutes.Add more oil if required for cooking. Season with salt & pepper and set aside.[See this saves you 1 pan to wash!!!] :)
- Take a whole wheat tortilla[ homemade in my case] and warm it for 10-20 secs over a hot skillet.
- Put a layer of onion – capsicum saute on it length wise.Over that put some sliced tomatoes & avocados.You can use guacamole also. I stuck to sliced avocados!
- Next put up the cooked shrimp and top it with some pickled jalapeno & cilantro! You can top up with some grated cheese & sour cream too, however I stayed away from them!