What I need:
For the chop:
- 3 russet potatoes, boiled and grated
- 1 tbsp corn starch [or more for binding the potato dough]
- 1 tsp salt
- Oil for shallow frying
For the coating
- 1 tbsp fine semolina (suji)
- 2 tsp white poppy seeds (posto/khus-khus)
- 2 small red beets , peeled and finely grated
- 2 tbsp chopped carrot
- 2 tbsp chopped green beans
- 2 tbsp green peas [fresh or frozen]
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp poppy seeds [posto/khus-khus]
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- a pinch of cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp nigella seeds
- 1/2 tsp white sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp roasted cumin seeds powder [bunajeera]
- 1.5 tsp red chili powder [adjust to taste]
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
How I did it :
- In a small pan, on medium heat,let the oil heat.Once heated, temper the oil with cumin, nigella, ,poppy seeds,mustard ,sesame and coriander seeds.
- Once the seeds start crackling, add the green beans and carrots to the pan and saute till the beans are slightly tender.About 3-4 minutes.
- Next, add the grated beets and the peas.To this add the red chilli powder, roasted cumin powder, cinnamon powder, and salt.Cook the mixture for 5 minute till everything comes together.Remove the filling from pan and let it cool.
- In a plate, mix the semolina and poppy seeds and keep aside for rolling the chops before frying.
- To the grated potatoes, add the salt and cornstarch and knead together to form a soft dough.
- To make the chops: Take a fistful of potato dough on your palm and spread it to make room for the filing.Take 1 tbsp of the prepared filling and put it on the potato dough and close to make elongated balls.[In a similar manner, the dough is filled for making stuffed parathas]
- Heat the required amount of oil for shallow or deep-frying to medium high.Roll the elongated balls in the coating mixture of semolina & poppy seeds and fry on medium high heat till golden brown.
- Serve warm with cilantro chutney & ketchup alongside a hot cup of tea.
- It is in best interest to check a small sample of potato dough first in hot oil to confirm that it dosent spread all over in th ehot oil.If it does add more corn starch for binding.
- Avoid using a starchy and sticky variety of potato, the one suitable for baking is the perfect choice.
Sending this to event Beyond five days of Durga Puja at Pree’s blog