Ingredients: [Serves 2]
- 1 cup yellow eyed beans
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 2 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp grated garlic
- 1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp red chilli powder [adjust to taste]
- 2 tsp dry coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 tsp dry mango powder [amchoor]
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- 4 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Soak the yellow eyed beans in 3 cups water overnight or for at least 5 hours.Once soaked, drain the soaking water and discard it.
- Cooking the beans:-
- This is what I do: Cook the beans with 2 cups salted water in a pressure cooker for approximately 15 minutes and 4-5 whistles.Strain and reserve the water to be used in curry later.
- Other methods of cooking the soaked beans: Cook the beans with 3 cups salted water in a pot with a lid on medium heat for about 45 minutes till tender.train and reserve the water to be used in curry later.
- In a cooking vessel with lid, add the oil and heat it up till the oil starts smoking slightly.
- Add the finely chopped onion and cook till golden brown.After this add the bay leaf & cloves and saute for 2 minutes.
- Next, add the grated garlic & ginger and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Next add the chopped tomatoes along with chilli,coriander,turmeric powder and salt.Cook this curry masala [ spice mix] on low heat till the oil starts separating from the mix along the sides of the vessel.
- Tip in the boiled beans into the vessel and combine well so that all the beans are covered in the masala.Saute for about 3 minutes.
- Next,add ground cinnamon and 1/2 cup or more of preserved water depending on how thick you like the gravy,cover and let the gravy come to a boil on a low heat.
- Once the curry has simmered for 8-10 minutes, add the dry mango powder and garam masala, stir well and let simmer for another 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, garnish with chopped cilantro and serve warm with rice or flatbreads.
- Adding a tablespoon cream at the end will give a really smooth texture and creamy to the gravy.
- You can add some boiled potatoes to the gravy as a variation.
- The recipe I have outlined in the post can be use for making any kind of curry.It is a generic recipe for curry making.Just substitute with your choice of vegetables or legumes and adjust cooking times.
Sending this to Hearth n Soul #37