Ingredients [Makes 1 quart]
- 4 large, ripe mangoes [approx 2 lb ]
- 1 /2 cup simple basil syrup [adjust to taste, quantity depends on how sweet your mangoes are]
- 4 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon zest
- pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp vodka [optional]
- Put the container in which you plan to freeze the sorbet in the freezer to chill.I used an air tight plastic storage container.
- Peel and chop the flesh the mango into cubes.
- Make the basil simple syrup[ recipe below].Allow it to cool.The recipe makes 1 cup of syrup but you will need only 1/2 cup for this recipe.
- Once cooled, in a blender combine all the ingredients except zest and process until smooth. You can adjust the amount of simple syrup based on your desired sweetness.
- Stir in the lemon zest into the blend.
- Pour into the chilled container and return to the freezer.Check back in an hour and stir the frozen edges back in. You will need to do this 5-6 times after every hour.
- Let freeze overnight or for atleast 6 hours until firm.The resulting sorbet will be quite soft.
Note: If you have an ice cream maker, your life is much easy.Put it to work according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Basil Simple Syrup [Makes 1 cup]
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 packed basil leaves, finely chopped
In a small sauce pan bring sugar and water to a boil.Add the basil leaves and simmer for 5 minutes.Pour into a cup and refrigerate until cold.Do not drain the basil leaves.
Sending this to Hearth n Soul #41