Coffee Sugar Mix [Makes about 1/4 cup paste]
- 2 tbsp instant coffee powder
- 3 tbsp granulated white sugar
- 1 tbsp cold milk + a little more [if required]
Per cup of coffee you ll need :
- 1 heaped tbsp of the above coffee sugar mix [or adjust to how strong or mild you like your coffee]
- 1/2 cup luke warm whole milk [substitute with half n half or any flavored creamer]
- 1/2 cup cold whole milk [substitute with half n half or any flavored creamer]
- Cocoa powder, ground cinnamon to sprinkle [optional]
Note: You will need a tall mug & a metal spoon to whip up the coffee sugar mix.Please keep away your fine china and pick up a mug which is little heavy.
- In a dry, tall and heavy mug, tip in the instant coffee powder and sugar together.
- Mix well and add milk just enough to moisten the mix [about 1 tbsp].In case you need more, add slowly.The purpose of milk here is just to give you a base moist paste to start working with.
- The mix will be dark brown at first.With the help of spoon, start beating the mix rigorously.It will start turning pale and pasty.
- Keep on beating the mix till it becomes pale brown and the sugar has dissolved.The mix will be thick and will flow like a ribbon. Also you would have done away with some of that flab on your arms
- You know when the mix is ready and thick enough when even on inverting the cup, it wont drip.
- Once done, the mix with be a viscous paste.It is ready to use now.
- Tip in a generous tablespoon of coffee-sugar mix into a “microwave” safe cup.
- Pour about 1/2 cup of luke warm milk.Microwave on high for 20-25 seconds.
- Take out and stir thoroughly with a spoon to dissolve any lumps etc.This is an important step.You need to get a smooth coffee-milk mix before adding more milk.
- Top up with remaining 1/2 cup of cold milk and stir gently to combine everything. [Note: Mixing milk too rigorously will reduce the froth in the final cup]
- Micro again for about 30-40 seconds or till you see froth rising up.
- Your coffee is ready.Top with ground cinnamon or cocoa powder.
- Serve warm with muffins or cookies.
- You can use whole milk diluted with water if you want.
- Normally, sweetened cocoa powder is sprinkled over the coffee before serving.I have noted it in the recipe even though I dont like to add it to mine..
- The paste lasts in fridge for about 2-3 days.You will have to beat again before using it.Ofcourse, the results will vary as compared to the fresh mix.
- The microwave times I have noted are the ones on my appliance.You will have to adjust and keep a watch as your coffee is inside to avoid spill overs.
Enjoy your cuppa coffee ! Thanks for stopping by.