Litchi/Lychee Pannacotta With Mango Jelly

• 1 tbsp sugar [adjust to taste]
Mango Jelly
  • 1 cup fresh mango puree  [substitute with store bought]
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 3 tbsp sugar [adjust to taste]
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
  • a pinch of cardamom powder [optional]
  • 3/4 tbsp unflavored powdered gelatin
  • 1/4 cup water
Making the Litchi Pannacotta:
In a small bowl, pour the water and sprinkle gelatin over it.Let the gelatin bloom for about 5 minutes.Meawhile,tip in the canned litchis in a blender or a food processor along with syrup and crush them.Drain the crushed litchis thorugh a sieve once.In a sauce pan, add the milk, sugar and drained litchis and let warm on low heat until sugar is dissolved.Do not let the mix boil,it should be warm but not hot.Remove from heat and add the bloomed gelatin to the pan.Mix well.You can whisk gently to ensure that everything has combined well.Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes and then pour into your serving bowls/glasses.Refrigerate and let set for 3 hours.
Making the Mango Jelly :
 In a small bowl, pour the 1/4 cup water and sprinkle gelatin over it.Let the gelatin bloom for about 5 minutes.Mix mango puree with 1/2 cup water , lemon juice, cardamom powder and 3 tbsp sugar and warm slightly (about 3-5 minutes] in a sauce pan over low heat.Again do not let boil.Mix in the bloomed gelatin and combine well.Let stand to cool off for about 10-12 minutes and add on top of the set litchi pannacotta.Let set for another 3 hours.

Add subsequent layers and keep on chilling.
Garnish with nuts or fresh fruit, mint and serve chilled.
How to create the swirls:
While you transfer the glasses to chill in the refrigerator, tilt the glasses/bowls.I usually use my cupcake pan to do this wherein I stuff little paper towels at the base of cases and rest the stem- tilted on them.Using a cupcake pan makes the handling easier when making a lot of servings but then there are lots of way of doing it.Devise your own.
Notes: It is important to add subsequent layers only after the bottom layers have set.The swirl you see in pictures took me half a day to set in and adding layers.You can do whichever way you like.Keep it simple or make a pattern.
Variations: Use coconut milk & agar agar flakes in place of whole milk & gelatin respectively to make a vegan version.I think litchi goes very well with papaya as well.I intend to add those layers next time I make it.
Enjoy & Thanks for stopping by!
About these ads

Comments

1. So pretty! I love the swirl in the glass. Great flavours as well :)

2. This is a lovely dessert. I would put it on the table and not let anyone touch it. It would make a stunning centerpiece, if it was not edible.

3. looks awesome. Love the combo of lycche and mango there.

4. Love it , absolutely mouth watering.

5. Now this is something they would serve at a 4 – 5 star restaurant as dessert! Only in much smaller glasses probably and charge you an arm and a leg!
    Very beautiful presentation, Tanvi!

6. You did a stunning job!

7. You’re in awe of people who make beautiful desserts and I am in awe of you! This is exceptionally beautiful… and it looks so light and refreshing. I would so love to have some of this.

8. Deepa says:

Excellent looking combination of lychee and mango. Must have tasted great as well.

Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

9. WOW WOW WOW! This is nice, I mean really nice. How did you make the swirl? I know it’s the skill and probably no trick, but anyway I LOVE it! I always wonder why you are blogging (LOL) – you should be a professional in this field. I am sure I’m not the first one who said it, so you should be really proud of your cooking skills. Maybe a cookbook to begin with? ;-)

10. That looks like the perfect refreshing and elegant summer dessert. I’d like to try this. I’m going to bookmark this one for a hot summer’s night. :)

11. Thank you everyone for stopping by and the kind words :)

12. Wow those look beautiful, I’m in awe of your perfect swirl!

13. Oo, it sounds lovely! And the presentation is very artful :) I’m amazed by the swirl – how did you do that? Its gorgeous!
    My mom and grandmother, both amazing cooks, don’t bake much either. And except for religious functions, they didn’t make sweets either. I always wish I knew someone who would show me how to make milk barfi…but I only have the internet.

14. Your desserts always look so beautiful!
    And tasty!

15. It’s same at my place .. only during those festivals I would see Mom making like a zillion sweet dishes :) This is a super classy gorgeous dessert and the presentation ..I am speech less Sonia !! I will try the swirl using the baking pan as you mentioned .. but i really doubt i can do it like you ..

16. So bookmarked this recipe. We must be soul sisters. Recently I had something similar in a community dinner called lychee pudding without mango or guava but had strawberry jelly mixed in. I really loved the flavors and bought a can myself. With this beautiful swirls – I can’t wait to try!!!

17. This is so pretty and what beautiful flavours!

18. Wat an exotic and elegant pannacotta…very tempting..

19. Your pannacotta looks so beautiful. I love the contrast of the white pannacotta and the yellow orange mango jelly. I especially love the swirl. It looks so tempting, I’d love a big spoonful!

20. Pretty..very very beautiful…I can just sit and admire this beautiful dessert . Shows how much effort you have put in there…kudos to you.

21. This looks sooo lovely tanvi. I am gonna try this as soon as I lay my hands on litchies :)

22. This is so pretty. It is funny as I have champagne mango puree for jelly I just haven’t decided on the base yet.:) Love pannacotta & the swirl is lovely!

23. It was really cool to hear some background about you and desserts :)
    The pictures are gorgeous and the litchi pannacotta sounds divine!

24. Sweet Artichoke says:

These pannacotta look delicious! I am not a big fan of pannacotta, but the idea of mango and litchis (French spelling is similar to Indian one:-)) is totally awesome!

25. This is just amazing! I love how the glass looks :) this belongs to the art gallery! You’ve done a great job. I love it.

26. Thank you so much everyone for the kind words :)

27. Tanvi….these verrine desserts look stunning! You must have worked hard to get those awesoem swirls. I hope P’s boss appreciated it!

28. Lovely clicks, Tanvi! And the swirls in the Pannacotta takes all the due credits ! Hats off to your patience for making such wonderful swirls. Love the fruity combo..wish one of the glasses is for me :)

29. This is one of the most beautiful looking desserts I have seen and it doesn’t even have chocolate. YOur presentation is brilliant and photographs (esp. the one where you picked the Lychee with a spoon) sensational. I am in love with your blog!

30. Wow, this looks fantastic. Gorgeous presentation and photos! I will definitely have to try this. :)

31. Tanvi this looks beautiful! Love the swirl and the presentation. Like didn’t ur heart break when the guests started eating out from those pretty bowls?!??! I’m bookmarking this! :) Great job dear!

32. Wow, wow and wow…I love both lychee and mango as fruit and pannacota, so this is totally a winner. I love how you presented, so pretty…and the idea of not using cream is just wonderful, I already printed the recipe. Have a wonderful week ahead Tanvi :-)

33. wow awesome dessert love these two fruits

34. These look gorgeous Tanvi, i’m so much in love with yellow colour and ur dessert is bliss for my eyes. Simple and attractive presentation and swirl are indeed wonderful…i too had fun making similar one without litchi and without cream version is blessing!

35. You may not know a lot of desserts but you definitely know how to pick a good dessert. I never heard of this but already I really like this Litchi Pannacotta. And the mango jelly is the icing on the cake. Very nice Tanvi

36. You did an amazing job with the dessert and presentation. I’m going to bookmark this and can’t wait to try it. I can imagine how tiring preparing all those meals would be.

37. tanvi – this looks sooooo good! and i love how you layered it too!

38. OMG Tanvi this dessert looks so beautiful! Love how you’ve played with the colors – the pannacotta is a work of a art! Gorgeous!!

39. Thanks everyone for the lovely comments!

40. This is a fantastic dessert… and it includes MAngo.. doubly yummy for me. Love the colours n wow to the swirls.. :D

41. love lychee and love mangoes..not sure how the combo would be but it sure does look delicious..love the pictures..after all u cant go wrong with somethin yellow in it :)

42. What I wouldn’t give to have been in your house with all of those delicious desserts around! Oh it must have been delicious! These pannacotta are gorgeous…I love the mango infusion and litchee is always a favorite!

43. Stunning pictures! That mango is irresistible!

Great blog!

Mary xo
    Delightful Bitefuls

44. Thanks so much everyone for stopping by and the kind words.

45. They look so good, nice dessert choice, thanks for the recipe to try.

46. Mango is one of my very favorite fruits. These look incredible!

47. Ellie (Almost Bourdain) says:

Beautiful clicks and brilliant recipe.

48. beautiful, beautiful photography. unique recipe. cardamom! 3 wins :)

49. yum looks so delicious photos look awesome.

50. Thanks everyone for stopping by, likes and stumbles.I m so so flattered & happy!

51. Hi Tanvi
    First time to your space. Wow!! What a wonderful blog! Lovely clicks and recipes.
    Do visit mine when time permits.
    Cheers

52. Happy to follow you!!

53. Wow….This is one awesome dessert. I will bookmark it to try soon. I love the way you write and your photographs are out of this world!!

54. Delightful and so refreshing! I love that exquisit fruit.

Cheers,

Rosa

55. I just discovered your blog and I have to say I’m really glad I did..
    you have amazing recipes and your pictures are works of art..
    may I ask what camera do you use?

56. Tanvi, these took my breath away visually. Your food styling is professional and I don’t think you will ever convince me that you are anything but an artist. It looks delicious as well! :)

57. Two of my most favorite fruits in one panna cotta, and no cream? What a stunner – this is just beautiful and I can imagine the flavors dancing on my taste buds!

58. Thank you everyone for liking the dessert so much and all the love :)

59. Wow Tanvi.. I feel like grabbing a spoon and help myself… This looks amazing… I have tried Lychee and Guava Panna Cotta.. and can’t wait to try this one! Great Pictures!

60. This may just be the prettiest pannacotta I have ever seen, and love the mango jelly :)
    Wow!

61. That’s a really pretty image of your mom and grandmama in the kitchen ;] Sweet dessert, you’ve created success.

62. Oh baby! Look at those gorgeous slanted layers — LOVE your presentation girl! Not to mention that I love these exotic fruity flavors YUM.

63. hey
    Made the dish.. Panacotta did not set :(
    But like they say, never say die

• Hello – post looks beautiful. We tried it but didn’t set either. I think maybe it should be “3 or 4″ tspn of gelatin rather than “three quarters”..?

• Hi Uyen,

So sorry that the pannacotta didn’t settle. The quantity that I have mentioned is 3/4 tablespoon(tbsp).I have got mails from few readers who tried this recipe & it worked fine for them. Working is gelatin is little tricky so maybe you could try again and it works out. Hope this helps!

64. Mike Hébert says:

I really want to try and make this! But I have 2 questions. First: I have access to fresh lychees so how many would be the substitute for 20oz. can? Second: Is it possible to bloom the gelatin in the milk instead of the water? I tried to make pannacotta once before blooming in water and adding to warm milk but it was hard and thus became ‘chunky’ in the milk. I did something wrong I know but I’m not sure what so I thought blooming in the milk might make it easier.

• Hello Mike, You are lucky to get fresh lychees.The 20 oz can I got had around 25-27 in number. I usually use cold water to bloom gelatin.However, after you asked, I searched and found that You can bloom gelatin in just about any liquid. Avoid the fresh juices of tropical fruits such as papaya, kiwi, mango, and pineapple as they contain an enzyme that will eat the gelatin. You might want to see this link http://whatscookingamerica.net/gelatintip.htm. It has great tips and info on working with gelatin!
      Thank you.I hope you try and like the recipe.

65. It looks like a very elegant dessert. I like the presentation.

66. WOW! the visual appeal blew my mind away… never tasted lychie and mango combo, looks so temptongly good… gonna try this for sure! :)

67. Rasha says:

I tried it but it didnt settle :( so sad

68. lakshmi krishna says:

Hi Tanvi,
    I tried this recipe without swirl, it came out well.thanx for sharing.What i have to do in order to enhance the flavour of lychee in the Panna cotta?(is it ok to add little lime juice while adding gelatin – the way we do in lychee soufflé).

• Thanks for trying out Lakshmi.Adding the lemon juice will definitely increase the flavor of the dessert.Nice idea btw.
      I think you can increase the amount of litchis to 35 oz & gelatin to 1 tbsp & try the dessert again. Hope this helps.

• lakshmi krishna says:

Thanks a lot for your kind reply Tanvi.This time for a competition i tried this as u said but with slight variation(to be richer, i used cream and little milk instead of whole milk, also i used only less of lychee syrup).Lychee flavour and also the swirl impressed everyone and flattered us. I won prize for this.Once again thank u.

69. Pretty pudding. I love that artistic swirl.

Trackbacks

1. [...] deserts, dried fruit, plum crumbles… I recently made a sorbet of it, which I served wih a litchee pannacotta – to die [...]

2. [...] Her blog has always welcomed the viewers with gorgeous photographs and mouth-watering dishes.Her food styling skills and the stories behind the recipes are filled with entertainment and inspiration. This friend of mine is very talented. Some of my favorites are Indian Spiced Lamb Chop, Mango Kulfi Falooda and this beautifully presented Pannacota. [...]