Avocados & berries have been my favourites ever since I have been in this country.I remember first seeing Sanjeev Kapoor using avocado on his telly show khana khazana.Though it is not available in Indian subcontinent abundantly as yet,this fruit caught my eye first time I visited the american grocery stores.
When I first tasted avocados, I found it quite bland but buttery.It was a fruit which had an over the board texture but no flavor.I cant resist the thought of what wonders it can do to my skin & hair so I always buy it on trips to grocery store.Some of it is used for preparing guacamole,some to top up pizza slices & most of it is used as a face pack
On one of those days when my creativity was kicking [a rare thing] :-P,the temperatures touched 100F & the hearts were yelling ice cream I was struck by this idea of turning this gorgeous fruit into this lip smacking ice cream.Its just a 4 ingredient fix , vegetarian and completely easy to make!
Adapted from Alton Brown’s recipe here
- 2 ripe avocados, deseeded with flesh scooped out & mashed
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 cup half & half [ or heavy cream]
- 1/2 cup maple syrup [or honey or sugar, adjust sweetness to taste]
How I did it:
- In a medium size bowl , as soon as you scoop out and mash the avocado flesh, add the lemon juice to it. Lemon juice prevents the avocado flesh from turning brown and retains the gorgeous green color of the ice-cream for up to 2 days.
- Next add the half & half and maple syrup and whisk together the ingredients to combine well.You can use heavy cream for a still richer texture.
- Since I do not have an ice cream maker i popped the mixture into the freezer and whisked it at continuous intervals to prevent crystallization.You can use the ice cream maker if you have one!
- Before serving top up with handful of nuts.
How easy is that?
Note: If you are the adventurous type, just add 1 tsp green chili paste to the ice cream mix and see the taste buds go in for a toss!!
Sending this to Akila’s Event: Dish Name starts with A !
Sending this to Yasmeen’s Healthy Nut Challenge7 -Tropical Temptations
Health Nut Challenge 7 : Tropical Temptations