Strawberry-Nutella Thumbprint Cookies

Update 05/31/2011

This recipe was featured on 100 ways to use Strawberries at Endless Simmer.

Update 05/14/2011

Another reader successfully tried this recipe.See here.The blog is in a non-english language so I could not read it but the picture says it all.Thank you LILLA!

Update: 03/05/2011

These cookies were tried by 3 people I know of who came back and told me about their experience.I m linking them here and here. One of the bakers, Mindy commented on the post herself that they turned out good for her. But for Rachelle, it didnt work out fine.I am adding these feedbacks to help those people who want to try out this recipe.Thanks everyone.Your suggestions are always welcome.

What I need: [Makes 22 cookies of the size shown][updated]

• 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 4 tbsp unsalted butter [softened]
  • 7 tbsp granulated white sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder [use aluminium free]
  • pinch of salt
  • 3 tbsp thick crushed fresh strawberry mix [homemade by crushing  strawberries with 1 tsp of milk [if required]+2 drops of red food color] [the quantity of strawberry mix will vary depending upon the consistency,please be judgemental]
  • Nutella [for filling]

How I did it:

• Sift the flour, salt and baking powder together in a bowl.Set aside.
  • In another bowl, cream the softened butter and sugar using a hand-held mixer for about 4 minutes.
  • Add the vanilla extract and crushed strawberry to the bowl and combine well with the butter mixture using a whisk.
  • Fold in the flour mixture with the butter mixture gently to form a dough.The dough will be soft and a little sticky but not loose.Do not over mix. You might need to oil your hands and bring the dough together.
  • Once combined, cover the dough with a plastic cling film and refrigerate for 1 hour.
  • Preheat the oven to 350 F/175 C.
  • Line your cookie sheet with a parchment paper.

• Take out the refrigerated dough,lightly oil your palms and make small balls with it.Put the balls on the cookies sheet and press down slightly to flatten out.

• With the help of your thumb or back of a tea-spoon make a small hole in the middle of the cookies where u ll fill the nutella after baking.
  • If at this point you feel that the butter in the cookies is melting, refrigerate again for about 15 minutes.

• Bake the cookies in the oven for about 8-12 minutes or untill the bottom starts turning brown. Mine took 10 minutes exact.Do not bake them beyond 12 mins.These will continue to cook after you take them out of the oven.
  • Take out the cookie sheet from the oven and using the teaspoon again press out the hole in the cookies.You will not be able to do this after the cookies have cooled.
  • Once the cookies have cooled, fill in the nutella in the little holes in the cookies.
  • Serve with cold milk.

I have adjusted these from a basic recipe here .Notes:

• The consistency of strawberry mix is of real importance.Make a thick, almost paste like mix in your processor/blender.If some bits remain, it does not matter but the mix should not be runny or watery.
  • The color of cookies/dough can differ depending on how red your strawberries are.I chopped off the white portions and used red part only.
  • I made my cookies less sweet because with nutella filling they could be very overwhelming.
  • The dough can be slightly difficult to work with,but refrigerate and it will be manageable.
  • Since every oven is different, the time of baking may vary from appliance to appliance.
  • You can fill in the cookies with any jam or melted chocolate chips too.

Enjoy! Have a nice weekend everyone.

Sending these to Culinary Smackdown Battle-Cookies

98 thoughts on “Strawberry-Nutella Thumbprint Cookies

1. These sound wonderful! I saw the blog about World Nutella Day, too. Love, love, love nutella. I may have to whip these up this weekend! Thank you for sharing.

2. OooooH – I needed this! I love your fabric, the print, the pink, the red, the concept, the photographs and your thoughtful mind! Standing ovation to you – and a little wiggle to boot. What a breath of sweet spring – or the promise it will come one day, and wonderful foreshadowing for Valentine’s Day. This is just toooo Purrrdy!
    YUM. Crushed berries would be the perfect liquid! But, they can’t be gluten free with flour in the recipe?
    Double YUM YUM!
    🙂
    Valerie

3. These are too cute! I’m so drawn to anything pink – these are definitely on my queue of things to bake (I’m thinking for Valentine’s Day!)

4. These are darling!
    Now I was aware that yesterday was National Chocolate Cake day, but I had not yet heard about World Nutella day. You best believe I’ll be celebrating though, even if its just me, my jar of Nutella, and a spoon! These precious little gems would also be superb for Valentines day! Yum!

5. I’m a big big fan of Nutella. It’s such a yummy spread. Was stunned to see breathtaking cookies. Absolutely sounds amazing. And these are eggless too. Thanks for sharing

Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

6. wow… just wow.. love love the clicks… a technical question though.. how do u such a good light? please share me the tips…
    and coming to the cookies.. love the combination… love the colors… yum yum 😀

7. Omg, seriously u r killing me with ur beautiful clicks, wat pretty,elegant and damn irresistible cookies,that too with nutella..

8. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen – Los Angeles, CA – Gourmande in the Kitchen is about food, photography, and pursuing life with a camera in one hand and a fork in the other! http://gourmandeinthekitchen.com
    Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen on said:

I’m surprised by how incredibly pink these came out with no coloring added, really pretty and perfect for Valentine’s Day.

9. I too sometime get crazy with fruits and healthy meals but then I recover pretty soon lol. These cookies look perfect and the addition of nutella i am sure makes the difference.

10. These are beautiful! I love that you used actual fresh strawberries. With strawberry season just around the corner I will have to save this recipe for sure.

11. Faith (An Edible Mosaic) – I’m Faith and I blog at www.AnEdibleMosaic.com where I share my recipe collection of international favorites and updated American classics, with an emphasis on seasonal dishes. I focus on real foods that sustain body and mind, bring people together, and make a house a home. Come check out my mosaic of recipes.
    Faith on said:

My oh my.. don’t those look so adorbale and cute! Love the pictures so much. Your photography and cooking is amazing!

Have a great weekend!

12. @Sylvie @Sukaina-Guys I did add 2 drops of food color + my box of strawberries were REALLY red so this pink color.

13. Thanks for sharing. I really enjoy finding new recipes to share with everyone. Feel free to check out my recipes also.

14. This is SUCH a great idea! I’ve never even thought of combining strawberry and Nutella, even though I love strawberry and chocolate. Thanks for sharing! 🙂

15. PreeOccupied – I studied English and Communications, and did Knowledge Management for a living. Now I have three sole interests: food, rock music, and books. Each is usually enjoyed seperately, but when combined they provide the most wonderful sensation ever. Oh and I am a writer of sorts too. And, if the blog name didn't give it away, this is my personal space for a creative and culinary catharsis. I am a Bengali and pride myself in replicating some traditional Bengali recipes from my family. I cook because I care. My mantra - whatever happens in my kitchen, stays on PreeOccupied!
    PreeOccupied on said:

You are becoming a pro in baking. Love the ingredients that have gone into your very pretty cookies.

16. Wow coookies looks so yummy and lovely combo. Amazing clicks too.
    Can you parcel me some pls:)

17. I tried making these today, and they did not turn out at all. Rather than looking like cute round little balls like yours, they spread out and were not smooth. Also, the texture was sort of cake-y and air-y rather than dense like a typical thumbprint cookie. Do you think I made them wrong? Yours look so cute, and mine definitely don’t!

• Rachelle,
      Thanks for your feedback.After your comment I have updated the post [recipe] and included the stepwise pictures.You can see the consistency of the crushed strawberry mix and the dough from them.As you can see from my finger impressions that the dough is perfectly pliable and not sticky as mentioned by you in your mail.Also I was able to roll out the cookies into neat balls.You can see from pictures with a bite that the texture of the cookies is not airy but dense.Baking can be quite tricky and u ll agree that oven settings also play a role.However I ll keep your feedback in mind next time I make these and update the post if I find some flaws.Thanks again for the feedback,I hope it will help other readers too.

18. Anna Johnston – Canberra – “I am a Fun Loving, Adventure Seeking, Enthusiastic, Super Positive Aussie Gal & creator of The Hospitality Guru! I’m a Chef, a Teacher, Trainer, Functions, Wedding & Event Architect; General Manager & all round Nice Girl who loves nothing more than great food paired with wonderful wines & beers.”
    Anna Johnston on said:

Oh gosh, think I missed the World Nutella Day 😉 What a great idea these little babies are huh, I love the idea of a quick cookie like this filled to the brink with Nutella. I think I could probably eat a truck load of these, that’s how much I love Nutella 🙂

19. I’ve added this recipe to the hundreds of Nutella recipes at the World Nutella Day site (www.nutelladay.com) – I hope you’ll be interested in making a variation or another Nutella creation and posting about it on February 5th, World Nutella Day!

More information on participating here:

Sara, founder World Nutella Day

20. This is such a fantastic post! Your pictures are just beautiful–and I love the process pictures you added at the end. Nutella and strawberry is such an unusual, yet delicious combination–it’s not at all what I would expect in a thumbprint cookie, and I think that’s the best part!

Thanks for sharing, and enjoy the world celebration of Nutella 🙂 Have a great weekend!

21. Heather | All Roads Lead to the Kitchen – Indiana, USA – Michiana-based food, drink, and travel writer with a fondness for garlic, freshly baked bread, stinky cheese, dark beer, and Mexican food.
    Heather @girlichef on said:

Tanvi! These are SO incredibly beautiful! I mean, I can’t stop staring at your photos. Gorgeous. I’m saving this and definitely, DEFINITELY giving them a try. Perhaps for World Nutella Day 😀

22. These are adorable! I have to say, I’d rather have a few of these than anything from the unhealthy shelf. Homemade is the way to go! Especially if it involves nutella.

23. Yum! These cookies look delicious. We have a “candy bowl” in our pantry which serves somewhat of the same purpose. It is always full and always ready to distribute some “not so good for you” treat. If I ever tried to get rid of it, I’m sure I’d be met with howls of protest!

24. These are absolutely gorgeous Tanvi!
    I’ll most definitely make it and let you know how it turns out. I love your list of ingredients, fact that it is less quantity, and that it is eggless. It’s so difficult to find baking recipes fulfilling all three criteria. Approximately, how many cookies came out in a single batch?

25. Oh wow , these are wonderful creations u have here!
    Am so glad u picked lods of fruits!
    Strawberries are in season here too and pink is the color of loveeee…One question i always have is these are the crisp kind of cookie no?
    Like powdery crisp but not crunchy!
    Oh i am excited about World Nutella day too!
    Way way much!
    happy day and Enjoyyy these veryyy prettyyyy cookies!

26. This is so mouth watering! I can’t wait to have this kind of cookies in my mouth. LOL. I should really make some of these to stop my watering mouth.

27. I m so overwhelmed by responses and the wonderful comments by all of you.Thank you so much all you lovely people.

• Hi Katie,
      The whole point is that the strawberry paste should be thick and not watery.If you feel that is possible with frozen ones, I think it should not be a problem.In fact now that u have said that, I might try with frozen ones next time.I think you could get an idea of paste and dough texture from the step wise pictorial I have added here.
      -Tanvi

28. I’m opening too many windows these days and not looking at all of them – thats the only way I might have missed these beautiful cookies! This is one hell of good recipe, love the color, pictures and nutella.

29. Pingback: Strawberry-Nutella Thumbprint Cookies [Eggless Recipe] | Sinfully … — Daily Great Food

30. I made these for my boyfriend and for myself…I had never had nutella before. I loved them and so did he. Thank you for sharing.

31. Pingback: valentine’s day for beginners. — happy as annie

32. Pingback: Happy Valentine’s Day! « Theresa's Baking Experiments

33. Pingback: a valentine’s exchange « dejame bailar

34. Thank you for participating the Smackdown Battle. Best of luck to you. These Strawberry Nutella Thumbprint cookies are mouth watering. Wonderful choice to submit these cookies for the contest.

If you haven’t done so, please sign up as a follower on my blog so you won’t miss out on the winner announcement and new posts. Have a wonderful day!

Amy

35. I have been dreaming of a strawberry cookie with chocoalte trying to figure out the best way to do it and presto…here it is! These look so amazing…my daughter is going to be THRILLED that I found these.

36. Hi,

Cute and original, I love these and will definitely give them a go!

And this is probably random, useless information for you, but I noticed you used the word ‘kiwi’ when you were talking about some fruit that you had. I don’t know if you realised..but a kiwi is actually a flightless bird from NZ and is also the colloquial term for someone who lives in, or is from NZ. The correct name for the fruit you’re referring to is actually kiwifruit (all one word). Most people in the Northern hemisphere don’t realise this though and I suspect they’re probably marketed and sold as ‘Kiwi’s.

I think they’re called kiwifruit because a lot of them are grown here in NZ and we export them around the world…. so to a Kiwi (as in, a New Zealander) when you refer to eating a ‘Kiwi’ to us it sounds like you’re eating a human. Or a small flightless bird. Tee hee :-).

Sorry to bang on about it, but once I got started I couldn’t stop myself!

Angela

37. Suzanne – I'm a SAHM who recently is loving the crafty, homemaking type blogs so I wanted to start my own. I like to craft, cook, read and spend time with my family.
    Suzanne on said:

Congrats to you on winning the smack down cookie contest with these cookies. They look delicious, a must try cookie 🙂

38. Your cookies are gorgeous, and I’m SURE they are delicious too! Lovely photos as well:) Congrats on winning the Smackdown! I need to make these.

39. Pingback: [Blog Event] Culinary Smackdown Battle-Mango Desserts | Sinfully Spicy

40. Pingback: Round ‘Em Up! – Bumper Edition! | Serendipity Cupcake

41. I just made it..taste awesome!! love the texture but the colour disappointed me.. I used 3 drops instead of 2..and the colour after baking turned dull purple..It didnt look as beautiful as urs.. 🙁 otherwise, thumbs up for the recipe! 🙂 Thanks!

42. Pingback: What’s Cooking? « Pip & Beck

43. Pingback: Sinfully Spicy Turns One!! Celebrating With Gulab Jamun & a Giveaway! | Sinfully Spicy

44. Pingback: I Like This – October 25, 2011 | My Word with Douglas E. Welch

45. Pingback: strawberry thumbprints « eelmsthebaker

46. Pingback: Nutella Baking Week Continued: Strawberry Nutella Thumbprint Cookies And Homemade Strawberry Milk « Go Bake Yourself

47. Pingback: Strawberry “Pink” Milk- a facile treat for Valentine’s Day | Girls Dream

48. I just made these. I didn’t use any food coloring, and they are very light pink. Next time I will use a drop of red beat juice. They didn’t taste very good :-/ Next time I’ll add more sugar, and play with the recipe a little bit. However, this is a neat idea, and with July 4th coming up, I’ll make cookies, fill them with whipped cream and put a blueberry in the middle. Thank you so much!

49. I tried these today n it turned out really nice. Except the granulated sugar did not mix well n i would use powdered/castor sugar the next time. Thanks a lot for the recipe and it just looks so great.

50. Pingback: Nutella Recipe Roundup: 13 Mouth-Watering Nutella Recipes

51. Pingback: 10 LOVE-ly Valentine’s Day Recipes | Crafty Calvert

52. Pingback: 30 Berry-licious Strawberry Cookies and Strawberry Cupcakes

53. Pingback: Strawberry Nutella Eggless Cookies | MySpicyKitchen

54. Pingback: Strawberry Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies | Baker's Craze

55. Pingback: Rica explosión de sabor | A todo Pantone

56. Pingback: Nutella Baking Week Continued: Strawberry Nutella Thumbprint Cookies And Homemade Strawberry Milk – Go Bake Yourself

57. Pingback: More Delicious, Mouthwatering Nutella Recipes

58. Pingback: The Perfectly Pink Baby Shower! | Kristin Steed

59. Pingback: Mango Nutella Thumbprint Cookies – Eggless Cookies (Home Baker’s Challenge) | Indian Kitchen