Ingredients:- [Makes approx 3.5 cups of chutney]
- 3 cups chopped green mango [from 2 largeÂ mangoes,raw & sour]
- 1 tbsp mustard/sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp Nigella seeds[kalaunji]
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds [methi dana]
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp roasted cumin seeds powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp red chilli flakes [adjust to taste]
- 1 tsp black salt/kala namak [substitute with normal salt/adjust to taste]
- 6 tbsp of jaggery
- If using a jaggery slab, with the help of Â a sharp knife cut it into small pieces.Set aside.
- In a heavy bottomed pot, heat the oil on medium heat.If using mustard oil- heat it to smoking point to do away the raw smell.
- Once heated, add the Nigella, fenugreek, cumin & fennel seeds to the pot.Wait till they crackle & you smell the aroma.About 30 seconds.
- Next add the turmeric powder and red chilli flakes to the pot.Cook for another 30 seconds.TIP:Whenever adding turmeric powder to hot oil, keep a watch because it burns easily.
- Add the chopped green mangoes to the pot and stir on medium heat to combine well with the other ingredients.Stir for about 2-3 minutes on medium heat.
- Next, cover the pot with a lid, reduce the heat to low and let the mangoes cook till they are 90% cooked but not mushy.About 15-20 minutes.Again note that this cooking time will depend on how thick you have cut the mangoes.
- Add the Â jaggery to the pot next and combine gently with mangoes.You will see that as the jaggery will cook, it will release water.Do not worry.Everything is as per plan.
- Cover the pot again and cook on low heat for another 7-10 minutes until the jaggery has completely melted and mangoes are cooked thoroughly. At this point add the black salt and roasted cumin powder and stir well.
- Remove from heat.If you want, you can crush the cooked mangoes slightly using a masher.
- As the chuntey will cool, it will become more and more thick so don’t worry if you feel that its is watery when hot.
- Once the chutney has cooled, transfer to dry, air tight jars and keep refrigerated for up to 5 days.
Enjoy & Thanks for Stopping by!