Aam ki Launji – Green Mango Chutney with Jaggery & Nigella Seeds

• 1/2 tsp roasted cumin seeds powder
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
  • 1 tbsp red chilli flakes [adjust to taste]
  • 1 tsp black salt/kala namak [substitute with normal salt/adjust to taste]
  • 6 tbsp of jaggery

Method:-
  • If using a jaggery slab, with the help of  a sharp knife cut it into small pieces.Set aside.
  • In a heavy bottomed pot, heat the oil on medium heat.If using mustard oil- heat it to smoking point to do away the raw smell.
  • Once heated, add the Nigella, fenugreek, cumin & fennel seeds to the pot.Wait till they crackle & you smell the aroma.About 30 seconds.
  • Next add the turmeric powder and red chilli flakes to the pot.Cook for another 30 seconds.TIP:Whenever adding turmeric powder to hot oil, keep a watch because it burns easily.
  • Add the chopped green mangoes to the pot and stir on medium heat to combine well with the other ingredients.Stir for about 2-3 minutes on medium heat.
  • Next, cover the pot with a lid, reduce the heat to low and let the mangoes cook till they are 90% cooked but not mushy.About 15-20 minutes.Again note that this cooking time will depend on how thick you have cut the mangoes.
  • Add the  jaggery to the pot next and combine gently with mangoes.You will see that as the jaggery will cook, it will release water.Do not worry.Everything is as per plan.

• Cover the pot again and cook on low heat for another 7-10 minutes until the jaggery has completely melted and mangoes are cooked thoroughly. At this point add the black salt and roasted cumin powder and stir well.
  • Remove from heat.If you want, you can crush the cooked mangoes slightly using a masher.
  • As the chuntey will cool, it will become more and more thick so don’t worry if you feel that its is watery when hot.
  • Once the chutney has cooled, transfer to dry, air tight jars and keep refrigerated for up to 5 days.
Enjoy & Thanks for Stopping by!

50 thoughts on “Aam ki Launji – Green Mango Chutney with Jaggery & Nigella Seeds

1. Hi Tanvi! I was “just” here and saw a new recipe being posted. Great timing. I like how you said, “you can eat as much of this chutney as you want without having to think about gaining weight and stuff.” This is so important when it comes to food I like. I have no control over. Of course I love all of your pictures, but your simple mango picture is amazing. It’s so hard to capture “goodness” of such a simple food, and you captured it beautifully. You are so good with all the props and make the food extra delicious. Love it!

2. That must be the prettiest mango chutney I’ve ever seen. It sounds really tasty too.
    And grandmother’s recipes – nothing can ever come close, can they? My grandmother used to make an achaar out of apples (same way you’d make it with mangoes but it used to be hard to find green mangoes so she used green apples) – I used to eat it as a snack – with nothing else!

3. sooo beautiful! I love chutney, Indian style.

DO you know the recipe for shredded mango chutney from the MOther’s brand? (I got it from my local Indian store, and my family is addicted to it! lol)

4. Beautiful! Just when I think I am done with mango recipes I find something like this! This spice blend sounds delicious Tanvi! I seriously have had too much mango this year but will try this last one recipe! lol

5. Sawsan Abu Farha @ Chef in disguise – Http://chefindisguise.com – In love with the Middle Eastern culture and cuisine. Sharing easy authentic Middle Eastern recipes is my passion
    thefooddoctor on said:

Can’t beat a dish that comes with such lovely memories 🙂
    but I really like this one because it is guilt free 🙂
    as always I am enchanted by your pictures Tanvi..

6. pink and black – India – and alice looked into the mirror and pleated her skirt...looked again and said..oh wow is that me!!!
    sulagna on said:

Tanvi once again a beautiful recipe and and even more beautiful write up to the post 🙂 looks absolutely delicious..jheebh mein paani aa gaya ;p

7. ooooh i just feel like grabbing over and eating those raw mangoes with salt and chilli..gosh im drooling…im not a big fan of the semi sweet pickles but this looks absolutely drool worthy

8. spicegirlfla – Florida – I love being in the kitchen. Early mornings, soft music, a hot espresso. Easing into the preparation of delicious meals. Glancing through cookbooks, gathering inspiration and planning my day. I look forward to the cycles of the seasons, the pleasures of tasting and savoring and sharing this with those dear to me. Weekends are special to me as my week days are often rushed, but still I create the ambiance, light the candles, set the table and uncork the wine.
    Linda on said:

I’m looking for recipes to use all the ripe mangos. This is a great idea and like that it will keep for a few days. I can see using it on so many dishes…or just right out of the jar!!

9. Faith (An Edible Mosaic) – I’m Faith and I blog at www.AnEdibleMosaic.com where I share my recipe collection of international favorites and updated American classics, with an emphasis on seasonal dishes. I focus on real foods that sustain body and mind, bring people together, and make a house a home. Come check out my mosaic of recipes.
    Faith on said:

Love this recipe Tanvi and the pictures are just stunning. I am not big on mango but my hubby is so I am sure he will love this.

Have a great week ahead.

10. I am so happy to have discovered your blog! I adore chutneys, and this looks beautiful.

11. I’ve been seeing mangos everywhere recently. I think it’s a sign that I need to go buy some and whip up something using the fruit! As always, your pictures are stunning, and this sounds superb.

12. This is one of my fav chutney and looks so perfectly delicious. Your photos are getting better and better.. that black tray .. SIGH!!! LOVE IT

13. I think I may have to visit India because I LOVE a great mango. I;ve only had one type and it would be so much fun to try other mangos. This green mango chutney definitely looks wonderful and I love the presentation Tanvi 🙂

14. I love the tangy and sour taste of green mango. And this Indian style chutney is so flavoursome and always whets the appetite for all the other beautiful dishes.

15. This makes me very nostalgic :-). Mum and I used to make pickles from raw green mangoes and go up to the “terrace” to sun them. I wouldn’t dare make them here in Australia though. A raw mango is virtually extinct here and costs $5-$8 per mango!! Your chutney looks beautiful!

16. Purabi Naha @ Cosmopolitan Currymania – Mumbai, India – Mumbai-based Food Blogger. Fusion cooking with Asian ingredients is something I am really passionate about. Blog: www.cosmopolitancurrymania.com
    purabi naha on said:

Really good, Tanvi. The photography is amazing. My mouth already started watering! My grandmother also used to make this chutney every year…

17. Mangoes are my favorite fruit but I can’t say that I’ve ever tried to do anything with a green one! This chutney looks fabulous!

18. Tanvi,

We saw this photo on Dario Milano’s brown food contest and just loved it there. We love it even more here because of the story, recipe and all the other great photos.

We just bought mangoes to make sorbet and now we are seeing posts about them everywhere, mostly dessert. Since we love the flavors of Indian cuisine and let it influence many of our western dishes, freshly made mango chutney seems like a perfect addition.

You have been added to our Google home page and we will be visiting often. Good luck in the contest!

19. That looks wonderful. I’ve never made chutney before.
    I love mangoes. Currently in the UK we have some alphonso mangos from india and I am loving them so much. Wish the season wasn’t so short, but this is a great way of preserving them.
    *kisses* HH

20. What an interesing chutney! I’ve never eaten green mangoes, but I’m sure I’d love this speciality. The nigella seeds are a great addition.

Cheers,

Rosa

21. Tanvi, Here you go, we have yet another common factor now – mangoes!
    Just like you, mangoes define summer for me.
    Though I usually don’t like sweet and hot tastes mish-mashed, this pickle is an exception, love licking those pickled mango pieces!
    That picture of the pickle in the bottle is simply irresistable..

22. Tanvi!!! Love the way you setup your photos, it’s just right! I love this aam ki chutney and have to try and make it. My mom always has a jar onhand (storebought 🙁 ) I’m going to show her this recipe and she might make it. 🙂 I love dipping sweet mangoes in kala namak or chaat masala. mmmmm.

23. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles – San Francisco Bay Area – Kelly Mulcair is an evidence based holistic nutritionist living in Northern California
    Kelly on said:

I’m in mango heaven as well… your chutney looks absolutely beautiful and the steps are so well illustrated – thank you.

24. Lovely shots! I’m a huge fan of chutneys as well and use it as a sandwich condiment quite often. Thanks so much for the explaination on jaggery and the tips for buying it. I’m running right out to my local Indian market to look for some. Sounds like it would be fantastic for baking.

25. aldentegourmet – I'm a whole foods maker + refined sugar-free mum that loves nourishing food, road trips, summer scarves + photography.
    Aldy on said:

Oooh, What a beautiful post Tanvi ! This is the most gorgeous ‘Mango Chutney’ I’ve ever seen ! It looks absolutely superb 🙂 I’m a huge fan of mangoes but I’ve never made my own chutney :l …and your lovely recipe is the perfect excuse to make my own 🙂 BTW, wonderful pics as always.

Have a great day,

Aldy.

26. Ur pics are sooo stunning Tanvi and thats a really good mango chutney!
    U have cubed the mango so beautifully and i am in love with all ur crockery and props !

27. Would L.O.V.E this with a beautiful piece of fish. Thank you for always educating me. I had not idea what Jaggery was and now I am well versed since you have enlightened me. Your food and photography are always splendid Tanvi. I am so in awe of both of those obvious gifts you possess.

28. Anna Johnston – Canberra – “I am a Fun Loving, Adventure Seeking, Enthusiastic, Super Positive Aussie Gal & creator of The Hospitality Guru! I’m a Chef, a Teacher, Trainer, Functions, Wedding & Event Architect; General Manager & all round Nice Girl who loves nothing more than great food paired with wonderful wines & beers.”
    Anna Johnston on said:

Wow Tanvi. I love this recipe & totally agree about mangos being heavenly, the smell of a beautifully fresh mango is awesome. Never cooked with green mangoes though, so loved all this. I will be keeping this one to try during our mango season 🙂

29. Hi Tanvi, this is the most glorious chutney I have ever seen! The next green mangoes that cross my path will be made into your chutney. Can’t wait!

30. Mango chutney posted in 2011 tried by me in 2013. I have just finished making it and it’s cooling down. It turned out to be very nice, just yummooo…Thanks for the recipie

31. I am going to make this recipe for the fourth or fifth time tonight. I have to give my family advance notice because the mustard oil will stink up the house for a while, but the result is worth it. It has a great and surprising flavor and it uses substantially less sugar than most green mango chutney recipes.
    Thanks Tanvi.

• Mustard Oil Warning – now that’s funny!But it gives an amazing flavor, you would agree! I am so happy that you like this recipe. I always keep a jar during summer months. It goes well with so many things or just on its own. Many thanks for your feedback.

32. Pingback: Green Mango& Curried Tofu Salad With Coconut Sugar- Ginger Dressing – Sinfully Spicy