For the Corn-Peanut Fritters:-
Ingredients:- [Serves 2]
- 2 cups fresh white corn kernels [ you can use frozen variety too]
- 1/2 cup raw peanuts, skinned & slightly roasted
- 3 scallions, finely chopped
- 3 Thai green chillies [adjust to taste]
- 1 fat garlic clove, minced
- 2 tbsp cilantro/parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp roasted cumin powder
- 1 tsp amchoor [dry mango powder]
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp kasoori methi [dried fenugreek leaves]
- 6 tbsp besan/chickpea flour [ or as required to make a thick batter]
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying [ I use canola]
- Using a mortar & pestle, coarsely crush the roasted peanuts.Set aside.
- Keep 1/2 cup of corn kernels aside.
- To the food processor jar, add 1-1/2 cups of corn and pulse 8-10 times.We do not need a paste, just a chunky mix.If using thawed,frozen kernels, you might need to add a tbsp of water while processing.
- Transfer the kernels to a medium bowl.Add the crushed peanuts, remaining kernels,scallions,garlic, green chillies, cilantro & all the spices except salt to the bowl.With the help of the spoon, gently mix to combine.
- Add the chickpea flour next and combine to make a batter.Since fresh corn kernels are very juicy, you will need to ration the flourÂ quantity as per requirement.Start with 4 tbsp of flour.If the liquid from corn makes the mixture too wet, put in additional flour.
- Heat oil on medium in a fryer /deep-frying pan/kadhai.The indian way of checking if oil is ready or not is by putting little batter in the heated oil; if it sizzles right to the top without turning brown, oil is ready.
- Add the salt just before frying & combine.With the help of hand or a spoon, tip in small portions of the batter into the heated oil in a single layer.Do not overcrowd the pan.
- Fry on medium heat, flipping in between for even cooking till the fritters are golden brown on all sides.
- Remove Â with the help of a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen towels.Repeat the process for the entire batch.
- Serve hot with mango-mint chutney and chai.
For the Mango Mint Chutney:-
- 1 cup green mango, cubed
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 Thai green chillies [adjust to taste]
- 1/2 tsp roasted cumin seeds
- Salt to taste
Method:- Put everything in a blender and churn till smooth.If needed, add a tbsp or more of water.Transfer to dry jars/bowls and keep refrigerated for up to 4 days.