Cardamom Shrikhand With Mango Saffron Compote

Allow me to call it a beauty.I dont mean fancy or flashy.Neither I want to hint that I toiled over this dessert for hours. It is something hopelessly easy to make, yet succeeds in achieving the delight a dessert is supposed to bring. Softly tart yogurt flavored with freshly ground elaichi (cardamom),topped with a luscious mango saffron compote – as simple as it can get but like a little sunshine on the spoon.

It is hard to believe that something so unfancy & minimal as yogurt & sugar can turn into a creation which appeals to the sweet tooth. I admit that cardamom & cream add more body to the dessert – making it a little more wonderful.Cream is traditionally not used – I like it for the added richness that it lends here. Trust me, never a easy dessert would taste so very spectacular.

Shrikhand is a yogurt based sweet dish originally from western parts of India. But now, it is popular all over the subcontinent. Basic shrikhand recipe is like a blank canvas – some like to add nuts, some combine chopped or pureed fruits with it and some let the melt in the mouth consistency remain unadulterated. Experiment as it pleases you.

I ate shrikhand for the first time prepared by one of my friend’s mom in Pune. She served it along side pooris (deep-fried flatbread) & a spicy bean sprouts curry. The combo was tad odd for me. Supposedly the yogurt is supposed to calm down the spices of the meal as you eat.I m not exactly sure how few bits of that first not-so- appreciable taste testing stuck with me.Eight years down the line & now I immensely enjoy shrikhand with pooris. Just like any comfort food, the sugar & oil overload is quite addictive.

Usually, pureed mango is mixed with hung yogurt & shrikhand becomes amrakhand. My favorite summer fruit is here. I bought season’s first batch last week & they seemed perfect to add a texture to the dessert.The mangoes were ripe & sweet – a compote was definitely on my mind. Addition of saffron to it seemed an obvious decision to accentuate the exotic flavors. The fact that I prepared the dessert with homemade dahi (indian style yogurt) made me a little happy than usual.

Preparation Time :- About 8 hours (includes draining in the refrigerator)

Cooking Time :- 10 minutes (for both shrikhand & mango compote)

Ingredients (Makes 4 servings)

For the Shrikhand

• 1.5 cups whole milk plain dahi (substitute with plain yogurt)
  • 100ml heavy cream, cold
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar (or to taste)
  • 8-9 green cardamom pods (or 1/2 tsp cardamom powder)
  • pinch of nutmeg powder
For the Mango Compote
  • 3 tbsp luke warm water
  • 1/4 tsp saffron threads
  • 1/2 tbsp fresh lime juice
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp lime zest
  • 2 ripe mangoes, peeled, cored, diced
Needed:- Colander, Muslin/CheeseCloth,Bowls
Method
Making Shrikhand
Line a colander with muslin/cheese cloth large enough that you can tie up its ends. Place the colander over a large bowl. Ensure that there is gap between the colander bottom & the bowl bottom to collect the draining liquid. Pour the dahi into the colander,wrap up and tie up all the ends of the muslin/cheesecloth. Let the dahi drain for at least 6 hours or preferably overnight inside the refrigerator.
Note :-Dont leave dahi while it drains outside, else it will turn sour.Discard the whey once drained. Reserve the muslin/cheesecloth.(If in hurry, you can use Greek yogurt to make shrikhand too. Skip this step if doing so)
Transfer the strained, thick, cold dahi into a bowl. Add cream to it and start whisking using a hand beater. Slowly add the sugar and beat until you get slightly stiff peaks.
Again tie the dahi – cream mix in the muslin/cheesecloth & let drain in the colander arrangement (as explained above) for another 2 hours inside the refrigerator.
Break open the cardamom pods & grind the seeds using a mortar & pestle.Tip – Always buy whole cardamom pods.This way of making your own powder saves a lot of money.
After 2 hours, transfer the drained dahi  mix to a bowl. Add cardamom & nutmeg powder and stir gently with a wooden spoon. Let chill for at least 3-4 hours or till ready to serve.
Scoop the chilled shrikhand into serving bowls & top with mango compote (recipe below). Keeps well in fridge for 2-3 days.
Making Mango Compote
In a medium bowl, dissolve the saffron in lukewarm water till it dissolves. About a minute or so. Stir in the lime juice, sugar and mix till sugar dissolves. Add in diced mangoes. Cover and chill upto 1 day.
Enjoy & thanks for stopping by!

45 thoughts on “Cardamom Shrikhand With Mango Saffron Compote

1. Lovely ! Shrikhand reminds me of my Badi Mummy who used to make it so perfectly ! Yummy cool concoction for a hot summer afternoon.. One question did you use our Indian Alphonso mangoes in this ? Do you get them here ?

• Thanks Neha. I did not use alphonso. I dont think I can get them here, maybe not even at indian stores. I use ataulfo mangoes from mexico. I think they come closest to indian taste.

• Thank you for the name of the mangoes , so I know what to look out for ! Keep sharing your goodness with us ! 🙂

2. I wonder where my previous comment disappeared anyways ! I had written ” Thats a lovely recipe ! reminds me of my Badi Mummy, she used to make shrikhand perfectly !! Yummy cool concoction for a hot summer afternoon….Thank you for the recipe….I have a question….What kind of mangoes did you use in this ? Do you get Alphonsos here in US ? ”

-Neha

3. Amuse Yo Bouche – Inspired by my undying love of all things creative, I decided to finally create a scrapblog of notes, photographs and recipes of my culinary adventures, my discovery of gastronomic delights @ home and around the globe and of course, my never ending wish lists of new places and flavours to Amuse My Bouche with. Food is a kind of Love and Love encompasses all the senses. Love gives you the most pleasure when you share it.
    Amuse Yo Bouche on said:

That looks and sounds delicious! I am waiting for my delivery of Alphonso mangoes this weekend. Will definitely be trying your recipe out. 🙂

4. Hi Tanvi, I love the intricacy with which you write about every recipe. The photos just make it even more desirable! I can tell the amount of time, patience and work you put into each post. Great stuff 🙂

5. I am also going nuts here whenever I am in market…Can see only mangoes !! As you said very easy and no hassle but tasty and yummy. Gorgeous clicks as usual

6. beautiful clicks. agree with you that some homemade curd with cardamom and sugar is a simple and gorgeous dessert.

i already have an amrakhand recipe on my site which i posted a while ago. with the mangoes in full season here, we usually have them plain or sometimes i make baked goodies.

7. Faith (An Edible Mosaic) – I’m Faith and I blog at www.AnEdibleMosaic.com where I share my recipe collection of international favorites and updated American classics, with an emphasis on seasonal dishes. I focus on real foods that sustain body and mind, bring people together, and make a house a home. Come check out my mosaic of recipes.
    Faith on said:

What a delight this treat is! I can imagine that the creamy portion and the sweet/tangy mango compote compliment each other perfectly!

8. This sounds wonderful and perfect for a warm day. I love the flavors.

9. wow such beautiful pics, i really think you should upgrade to a SLR, you are doing so good with a Point and shoot (if you are using this), with SLR you would do wonders

10. sweettoothcraving – We are a self taught, folks-taught and tastebuds taught couple who have been experimenting with recipes hunted down from the net, recipe books, something we tried at a restaurant, hand me downs or something we think would be nice on the palate or at least on the plate. He or 'non-stick' (as he will be known in blogosphere ),'sous chef' (our adorable labrador retriever (who also doubles up as my sous chef/baking charm) and 'nutty' me like food too much to leave it at 'just another meal'. It is what makes our kitchen/world go round. We are a motley bunch but it works for us, and how! Welcome to 'For the love of food!!'
    sweettoothcraving on said:

Love your pictures! 🙂

11. sweettoothcraving – We are a self taught, folks-taught and tastebuds taught couple who have been experimenting with recipes hunted down from the net, recipe books, something we tried at a restaurant, hand me downs or something we think would be nice on the palate or at least on the plate. He or 'non-stick' (as he will be known in blogosphere ),'sous chef' (our adorable labrador retriever (who also doubles up as my sous chef/baking charm) and 'nutty' me like food too much to leave it at 'just another meal'. It is what makes our kitchen/world go round. We are a motley bunch but it works for us, and how! Welcome to 'For the love of food!!'
    sweettoothcraving on said:

Love your pictures!
    Kajal @ http://sweettoothcraving.blogspot.com/

12. That is beautiful Tanvi, I love good, thick yogurt with jam or anything sweet. Or any dairy for that matter.Love to combine feta cheese with jam too 🙂 So this is perfect for my taste 🙂

13. Kiran – Hello, I am Kiran Srivastava. Commonly known as the Chatterbox in the family. Ten years ago, I met Tarun (the Hubby) and we instantaneously fell in love. Our life so far, has been a roller coaster ride. From Malaysia and India, we begun our journey as husband and wife to America. Admittedly, I am a scatter-brained, often forgetful and not willing to admit that I am over 30 years old now. I am always 29 :) But I love my husband, our family, life and living abroad – not that it has anything to do with Ricky Gervais’s show. Living abroad is like a new birth to life. Learning to take baby steps all over again.
    Kiran on said:

Delicious shrikhand!! Now I need to source out sweet mangoes and make this ASAP!

14. sreebindu – India – Welcome to my little space over here!An RJ by Profession and an amateur in phogography, with my new Canon. Irrevocably in love with it. Loves Music & a very good Listener too. This blog shares every emotion of me; I love everything which makes me happy in my life. For sure, am going to share every bit of it through “Me & Life” - To know more of me tune into my show some time week days on Radio Mirchi 98.3fm - www.radiomirchi.com/Visakhapatnam.
    sreebindu116 on said:

the perfect way to use my mangoes from the fridge=)
    xoxo

15. OH this looks just divine! gorgeous gorgeous photos! and I agree, there’s nothing better than a really ripe sweet mango! love the addition of saffron in the compote, and the cardamom, one of my favourite spices!

16. I made it and ate it up just now. Till now I had only eaten the store bought skrikhands so I have to say that this was a revelation. The alternating tastes of mango compote and creamy srikhand is pure pure bliss. Another winner from Sinfully Spicy!

• Thanks Priya.Love that you try the recipes & give your feedback. Do let me know about the ones that you dont like 😉

17. Tanvi– I have to thank you for this recipe. I had never made shrikhand before in my life, as it always seemed so daunting. But I made it the other day when I had some family over and it was a huge hit. For all your lazy readers out there, I took a few short cuts and it still turned out amazing. First of all, I used Greek yoghurt. Secondly, I didn’t bother to drain the dahi after adding the cream, nor did I bother to put it in the fridge for two hours. (Next time, I think I will skip the cream entirely, so as to make it less fatty. As it is, I used 0% fat Greek yoghurt). Lastly, I didn’t use as much sugar as is called for in the recipe, which does make it less authentic, but we liked it nonetheless. The shrikhand with the mango compote was a genius idea of yours, thank you again!