Orange Flavored Cashew- Almond Fudge (Peda)

Sinfully Spicy : Orange flavored Cashew Almond Sweet Balls (peda) #glutenfree #vegan

It was one of the most important day of my life as we drove through wide but still crowded roads due to evening traffic, long after sun down to Kashmiri Gate,to the university campus in Old Delhi to figure out if I made it to that year’s list of DCE(Delhi College of Engineering0. I remember me and mom sat and waited in the car while dad walked out to check the noticeboard.Those fifteen minutes,that day, might have been the longest of my life as I sat and observed the varied expressions of cheer and dismay on the faces of others coming out of the red-painted door and walking towards the crowded parking lot. As many parents passed our car, clear among the noisy chaos of honks and shouting kin, I could hear the conversations of celebrations, as also the consoling whispers of ‘there are few more results left’. Every time those sounds touched my ears, my heart rejoiced for half a second and next moment, the random thoughts weaved an abyss against hope. I might have blinked my eyes lesser than usual, my throat felt dry and itchy but my glances just waited for dad to emerge out of that red-painted door. I could hear mom’s cell phone ringing constantly, every other relative & rest of the family calling in to check if I ‘got through’. She pretended to be normal, but I could segregate the egdy tones of anxiety when she uttered ‘pata nahi‘ (don’t know).

The engineering entrance exam system in India gets more tough each year than the actual exam itself mainly due to the exponential increase in number of takers. Colleges in big metropolitan cities are more sought after and it definitely boils down to minute differences in performance to rank you higher or not. I had been preparing for this exam for almost a year and as expected I was nervous on the result day. Badly.

It was 7:43 pm. Dad emerged out of the door with a flat face.My heart skipped a beat and I started sweating like a pig. I could feel my ear lobes turning red and my throat choking. We could not keep inside the car anymore and I forced myself and ran to him. Mom rushed after. I looked at him with deer eyes.He still kept a straight face. I don’t remember but for the first time in last fifteen minutes I would have opened my palms to clutch his sleeve. He looked at us and with the most lovely smile spreading across his face that I might have witnessed ever, he said ‘ho gaya, mithai khilao‘ (You got in, get the sweets!). Tears rolled down my eyes. Music to my ears. The world at my feet. I was through!

Mithai or sweets form an integral part of indian culture.Each occasion of life is celebrated with them.The streets and neighborhood of the country are dotted with sweet shops and if you find ever yourself stuck in a desert, you would be less than a mile away from one. ‘Peda‘ is one of the popular sweets from the ‘Uttar Pradesh’,and these are essentially fudgy, thick, semi soft, sweet chunks made with mava (milk solids)sugar and ghee. However, these fudgy cashew almond peda, I made are dairy free as well as need very few ingredients for preparation.My daughter loves any mithai made with cashews, so these were mainly made for her though we enjoyed them as well. The slight hints from the orange paired very well with the nuts even though the aroma of sweet green cardamom is more prominent. These could get addictive. These gluten-free, vegan balls can be an excellent after school snack. Make some and enjoy!

Printable Recipe

Glutenfree, Dairy Free & Vegan sweet fudge made with cashew and almond meal.

Ingredients (Makes 25 )

• 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1.5 cup cashew nut meal (or powdered raw cashews)
  • 1 cup almond meal (or powdered raw almonds)
  • 1/2 tsp fresh orange zest
  • 6 green cardamom pods, seeds crushed
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar to roll

Method

In a wide, heavy bottomed pan (I use my 12 inch skillet) or a kadhai, mix up the sugar and water. Set the pan on low flame and let the sugar dissolve. Stir (I use my rubber spatula) the solution once or twice while the sugar dissolves so that the sugar does not stick to bottom of the pan.

Once the sugar has completely dissolved, add the cashew and almond meal to the pan. Mix everything and brace yourself for some hard work. Keep on stirring and stirring as the mix cooks on low flame. The process will be slow in the beginning and you will feel that it will take forever but do not worry. Keep on stirring, scraping the mixture on low flame, do not let the mixture stick to the sides of the skillet.

After about 20-22 minutes, you will see that the mixture starts thickening and coming together. We will shortly be getting there, once the mixture is thick, do not bother much about scraping the sides as they will be really dry. Around 24 minutes, the mixture will start resembling a soft, sticky dough and will clump up around the spatula. If you try to bring the mixture together in one place on the skillet, it will try to slowly spread (similar to how a glug of cold honey spreads on a surface). Mix in the orange zest and crushed cardamom. Put off the stove.

Immediately transfer to the greased surface and leave to cool a bit until its safe to handle. Once the dough has cooled slightly, very gently knead the dough for 2-3 minutes. Remember that the dough needs to be warm when you knead so just wait till its safe to touch, do not let it cool down completely, else it will not knead and remain grainy.Do not press very hard as you knead else the nuts will start oozing their oil. You can grease you hands or the dough with ghee in between if it starts feeling sticky.

While the kneaded dough is still warm, pinch small portions of it and roll into a smooth ball. Roll the balls in powdered sugar.

Once cooled, store the peda in air tight container for up to a week.

Thank you for stopping by!

Notes

1. The time of cooking noted in this recipe will vary if you are using any other kind of sugar than granulated, since the water content of different varieties of sugar is different.
  2. You can use any kind of flavorings like saffron or rose instead of orange zest & cardamom.

Stay Spicy!

58 thoughts on “Orange Flavored Cashew- Almond Fudge (Peda)

1. Would wheat meal do also ? In recent recipes you use different kind of meals (meals not easy to find here in Holland). Would wheat meal be a good replacement or is it important to use the specific meals you mention ?

• Hi Jan,
      Cashew or almond meal is nothing but blanched nuts, dried and powdered. You can easily make the meal at home with raw almond or cashews. I sometimes do that too. In USA, we get these easily at stores and they are just convenient.
      Also, I don’t think wheat meal will work here. These little fudge ride on the taste of the nuts so will not taste great without.
      Tanvi

2. Amanda | What's Cooking – Manhattan – Cooking and healthy eating are passions of mine. Storytelling is an inherent part of both of them. My site is a home for the tales of culture, family and personal growth through the lens of cooking and eating, which are universal human experiences, but unique to each person. I wanted to share my unique corner of it from my tiny kitchen in New York City. I hope to share this passion and continue to challenge myself and broaden my horizons.
    Amanda | What's Cooking on said:

What a beautiful story. You’re an excellent story teller and it’s amazing how these sweets will forever be tied to that moment. Your photos are gorgeous and the presentation of the sweets is just perfect. I totally intend on making this. Thank you for sharing. xo

3. Josie – Since I was a little girl, I have always wanted to travel the world and learn about different places. This blog is my space where I write about the journey to making that dream come true.
    Josie on said:

Yumm! This is my kind of treat. 💛 congratulations btw!

4. Anant Prakash – Z7604, Bangladesh – Journalist @Inextlive | Covering Conflict and International Stories | Reviewing Non-Fiction Books | Student of the World
    Anant Prakash on said:

Lovely way of talking about a recipe.

5. Setia – Site ini berisi tentang gambaran keadaan sosial di masyarakat dalam kehidupan sehari-hari.
    evsetia on said:

I like your post and i like all that, but how can I really taste all that ?… ha ha ..

6. rumblingsofapotato – Who am I? I am just a 21 year old girl. rambling about my gorgeously-eventful silly-tiny-world; Stumbling.. Fumbling… Mumbling… Where do I live? La-la-land! Hey I am not going to say that! What do I do? I eat, sleep and design. Basically an architecture student. What is this entire fuss about? Nothing, really! If you follow my posts, you'll find this guy called X. Who is X? A stunningly handsome and successful guy who is every girls teenage dream; basically my first love, my ex. I haven't introduced any other characters yet, well, one might be on its way. Coming soon.
    rumblingsofapotato on said:

oh wow! im rumbling already 😛

7. Stumbled upon your website from Freshly Pressed. Beautifully laid out and very interesting content! Also loved the way you made the Indian dishes easier for people to understand globally… Keep going 🙂

8. Beautiful story, I also loved the printable recipe, I already stuck it on my refrigerator will be making on Sunday for my family. Hopefully they will turn out right. Lol, I enjoyed reading your post.

9. earthlingdaughter – United Kingdom – 22 year old trainee primary school teacher, student and newbie traveller. I want to see the world.
    earthlingdaughter on said:

Oh my god this is so beautifully written with such lovely photos!!

10. Alka – Sydney – Writer, poet, artist and social activist. A former educationist and radio anchor, I've also worked in the public service, banking and IT. In my blogs, you will find my original poems, short-stories and long articles on variety of themes - particularly social, motivational and inspirational. Music, art and photography are my other interests that I often integrate within my writings.
    Alka Girdhar on said:

Lovely post. We can relate to this experience of yours – waiting for the result as well as sharing of mithai. Will definitely try this recipe.

11. TalesFromALovelyLawyer – Hell – A newly married, baby lawyer practicing in New Jersey. Subscribe to read about my crazy, hectic life and to keep up with my law related shenanigans. If you like any of my posts, please share on social media! I'm also on twitter, so follow me on there as well @talesfromalovelylawyer!
    Talesfrom3lhell on said:

Such a touching story! Congratulations on getting into the engineering program! I’ll have to try to make those sweets and let you know how it goes!

12. Beautiful story! Peda looks so scrumptious! I love cardamom and orange combination!Especially orange blossom water!
    I really got to try these!
    Could a hazelnut meal work instead of cashew meal?

13. Deborah – Toulouse – Some things I am: Multi-kulti (Swiss mother, Irish father, French husband). Passionate teacher and scholar. Enthusiastic eater and drinker. Exuberant maker and user. Exhausted mother of 3 boys. A slightly flummoxed kid hiding in a responsible adult costume. What I am not: Infallible, so don't take what I write as gospel.
    Deborah on said:

Lovely post. The printable recipe is great. And my hubby brought me enough cardamon pods from India to make vegan sweets until Kingdom come…

14. The Natural Taste – Hi there! I'm Nina and a 25-year-old foodie. Cooking really means a lot to me. I don't like to strictly follow any recipes. I much more prefer to get inspired by one of my thousands of cookbooks and then create my own healthy recipes! If you're into cooking and healthy food I'm happy to welcome you here on my blog where I share the goodnesses I most like!
    The Natural Taste on said:

This sounds and looks sooo incredible good!

15. I really like this post 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

16. Marvelous Mo – Connecticut – I'm a self-trained home cook who finds unparalleled joy in spending my free time stirring up new recipes in my kitchen. I look forward to sharing my creations with the world.
    ToGatherCuisine on said:

Such an impressive recipe! Love it!

17. The wandering gastronomist – Blue Mountains, Australia – Happy go lucky guy who is obsessed with cooking and all things food, travel and all corners of the world. You will find me curled up devouring some type of delicacy and immersed in a book at any given time.
    The wandering gastronomist on said:

Sounds like gorgeous glamour combinations, something nice and light to have between meals.
    Also, your photography is stunning!

• The wandering gastronomist – Blue Mountains, Australia – Happy go lucky guy who is obsessed with cooking and all things food, travel and all corners of the world. You will find me curled up devouring some type of delicacy and immersed in a book at any given time.
      The wandering gastronomist on said:

*colour*

18. stevensumpner – Now I'm no writer so you will have to excuse my spelling and Grammar, but what I am is passionate about food and what I do for a living, I'm the sous chef at a two rosette hotel in Hathersage, Derbyshire. I thought I would start a blog based on some of the ideas that go through my Mind (food that is ...! I know chefs are thought of being a little inappropriate most of the time)now when I say ideas I don't want to make it sound like I'm going to be the next Heston Blumenthal but like I said I'm passionate about what I do and I just want to show case what I do. Now due to the hours I work and being a proud and very involved dad off three I don't eat out as much as I would like to but when I am at work and left to it I love playing with ideas and manipulate food ingredients to create something that puts a smile on the person or persons face that are hopefully enjoying my food who ever I cook for, no mater what I cook it could be a full breakfast for my mum, steak and chips for my wife or a full eight course taster menu for a group of food critics I try my absolute hardiest to impress So hopefully you enjoy what I enjoy doing and please share
    stevensumpner on said:

Wow sounds great i will try that as a petti four at some point

19. stevensumpner – Now I'm no writer so you will have to excuse my spelling and Grammar, but what I am is passionate about food and what I do for a living, I'm the sous chef at a two rosette hotel in Hathersage, Derbyshire. I thought I would start a blog based on some of the ideas that go through my Mind (food that is ...! I know chefs are thought of being a little inappropriate most of the time)now when I say ideas I don't want to make it sound like I'm going to be the next Heston Blumenthal but like I said I'm passionate about what I do and I just want to show case what I do. Now due to the hours I work and being a proud and very involved dad off three I don't eat out as much as I would like to but when I am at work and left to it I love playing with ideas and manipulate food ingredients to create something that puts a smile on the person or persons face that are hopefully enjoying my food who ever I cook for, no mater what I cook it could be a full breakfast for my mum, steak and chips for my wife or a full eight course taster menu for a group of food critics I try my absolute hardiest to impress So hopefully you enjoy what I enjoy doing and please share
    stevensumpner on said:

Great story as well

20. chefconnie – I am a professional chef cooking in the mountains of Colorado, and striving to make great food from scratch.
    chefconnie on said:

Amazingly beautiful story and post. Love!

21. Nikohl Vandel – planet earth – Most people prefer when they can call me Niki, cause then, if they just do what I suggest and go on with life and live happily ever after, and only if they can call me Niki, I may actually let them see my art for real. If you have a problem bigger than a nuclear power plant melting down and a planet too stupid to realize that #NuclearizedWater doesn't freeze and frozen margaritas are soon to be extinct, take a number, I'll get to you when this mess is resolved. Everything else seems like it is either self-created or otherwise manageable and can wait while i'm preoccupied. sigh, anyway. this is me, processing planet earth.
    Nikohl Vandel on said:

Just. Yes. <3 story

22. Peace.Love.Veggies – Melbourne, Australia – 26 Year Old Yogi - Gemini - Vegan - Author (Astrology Pond) - Star Gazer - Hippie/Boho - Tea & Book Lover - Lefty - Peace Loving Girl - Humble Warrior (MELBOURNE, VIC AUSTRALIA)
    geminibec17 on said:

Oh wow!!

23. Grapeapemama – Idaho – I am a happily married mother of 4 beautiful kids and 4 awesome dogs. Starting out this summer as trying to be more healthy for myself and my family. My family and I are addicted to fishing and camping. We love the outdoors and every chance we get we are making plans to get out of town. We live in Idaho and live right next to my husbands parents and on the other side is his sister and her kids. Haha I often say we are like the show "Everybody loves Raymond". Which is kind of true since the mother in law is a great cook and I am still learning, even thou I am early 40's. I am just a late bloomer when it comes to cooking. But I am a lover of fishing and reading and swimming and I love my dogs and have been trying to teach them new tricks like stay and shake so far. I love gaming but never seem to have enough time to play as I would like. I love to read blogs and am now going to try this and see if I can get the hang of it. Please feel free to leave me any comments and even your own personal blog info and I will be happy to check yours out too!!
    Grapeapemama on said:

Looks great! Yum, I am also just starting gluten free cooking.

24. rituchaturvedi – Fuss free Cooking is the result of my love for Food & food photography. Everything I know on this from my own experience and experiments. Kitchen is my creative zone, every day I love to cook healthy and delicious food. For me presentation and styling of food is as important as the taste. I love eating gourmet styled yet simple food. I believe in honest & real life & my motto is Keep it simple keep it Fuss free...
    rituchaturvedi on said:

Love it completely, good pictures

25. Kat Aglipay – Quezon City, Philippines – Hi, I am Kat. I am just a simple girl with great passion for fashion, love for adventures and a taste for good food. When it comes to fashion, I love basic pieces that are timeless and easy to mix and match. I often go to neutral colors ---blacks, whites and grays, and I sometimes incorporate pops of color into them. When it comes to adventures, I am referring to either a travel adventure or any activity under the sun such as mountain climbing, ice skating, snorkeling or whatever. It can be a new beauty product to try on, or a new destination to travel to. Who doesn't love travelling and seeing new sights, anyway? As we discover different places and stuff, we discover ourselves deeper too. When it comes to food, all I can say is that no meal is complete without desserts and no hangout is complete without coffee talks. Hope you find my blog fun and useful!
    kataglipay on said:

Nice story! 🙂 That sweet is similar to “polvoron” in the Philippines. 🙂

26. These look delicious alone and the perfect treats with a hot beverage

27. afreenzia – I am Mrs Afreen Zia. My blog Afreenskitchen is a Pakistani lifestyle and food blog.I love cooking and baking.I live in Karachi Pakistan.
    afreenzia on said: