With its dark golden crumb and flavor of floral honey in each bite, this cake is so perfect with a cup of tea for much needed warmth on a cold fall evening. The cake is refined sugar free and is wholly sweetened with honey. It is nicely dense (as most bundt cakes are) and so very satiating. The warmth from the spices enhances the floral notes of honey as well as makes your kitchen smell wonderful while the cake bakes. Since honey cakes tend to become dry sometimes, the recipe uses full fat greek yogurt, which makes it incredibly moist. A few lashings of whipped chocolate honey on top makes it ideal to be enjoyed as a dessert too.
I am a huge fan of teacakes. Not only they make teatime special but they are incredibly easy to make. You do not need to make a frosting (less work!) and I mostly make mine without a mixer, this recipe is such. You just need two bowls!
The cake very keeps well in the fridge for a few days. I suggest to warm up a slice when serving, its so delicious when warmed a bit.
Makes 1 10-inch Bundt
Time – 30 minutes (plus baking & cooling time)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 extra large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup sunflower/vegetable oil
- 1 cup honey
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoon full fat plain greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest (optional)
- 1/3 cup whipped chocolate honey(or you can use chocolate glaze)
- Liberally spray or brush the sides and center flute of a 10- inch bundt pan with oil. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F with rack in the middle.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, soda, salt and all the spice powders together. This makes sure that everything is lump free. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, crack the eggs and beat them lightly. Measure oil first and add it to the eggs. Without wiping, use the same cup in which you measured oil to measure the honey. Add to the bowl as well. Also add the yogurt and zest(if using), whisk everything nicely to combine.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the honey mixture, stir and fold gently with a spatula to mix everything, donâ€™t over mix.
- Pour the batter into the bundt pan (it is a runny batter so it will level itself) and bake in oven until a skewer comes out clean, 38-42 minutes.
- Take the cake pan out of the oven and place on the counter and let the cake cool for 25 minutes in the pan. .
- Loosen the cake from the pan using a thin spatula or a butter knife and invert on a cooling rack to completely cool down.
- Drizzle American Raw honey whipped chocolate honey letting it drip along the sides. Slice and serve.