These juicy shrimp in a creamy cheesy sauce are perfect for an indulgent meal for special occasions. The shrimp are cooked sous vide (indirect slow water bath cooking), however I have added the instructions for cooking them in a skillet as well in the recipe. Sous vide cooking allows for slow cooking for about 40 minutes and by the end, the shrimp are really succulent and cooked perfectly. Then added to an easy creamy sauce.
The sauce is very simple - butter, onion, garlic, have cream and parmesan cheese. It comes together in less than 10 minutes. You can make the sauce a little lighter by using half and half or milk, it won't we as thick in that case. My kids like to dunk crusty bread and slurp on the sauce as a soup but you can mix in boiled fettuccine or linguine for a rounded heavenly shrimp pasta dish.
A few things to be kept in mind when making this dish:-
- Undercook the shrimp slightly :-Slightly undercook the shrimp because we are going to finish cooking them in the sauce. I have noted each timings in the recipe for jumbo size shrimp. Adjust if you are using a different size of shrimp.
- One Skillet Dish -If you do not want to use sous vide or do not own one, no problem! You can make this dish in the skillet itself. Its a one skillet recipe. Use non stick, stainless steel, ceramic coated or seasoned cast iron, any heavy skillet will work since it conducts the heat better. You quickly sear the shrimp first, take them out, make the sauce in the same pan and finish the shrimp in the sauce. Easy peasy!
- You can use half milk and half heavy cream if you do not want to use heavy cream. But I don't recommend, its a once in a while, special occasion dish and we should live just a little 🙂
- Spice it up:- I like to keep this dish mellow because thats how my kids like it, nut if I were making it for adults, I would add a ½ teaspoon of chili flakes to add a nice kick.
- Variations - You can use a mix of scallops, crab meat and shrimp instead of just shrimp for a seafood fiesta.
- Add Vegetables - Add ½ cup of blanched peas, handful of baby spinach or blanched asparagus to the sauce to make it more hearty. Promise you the kids will love vegetables in that cream sauce.
- Use a mix of cheese - Use a mix of asiago, romano and parmesan cheese instead of just parmesan.
Sous Vide Creamy Shrimp Skillet
- 1 lb raw jumbo shrimp (cleaned, tail on)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Half lemon sliced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For the sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 4-5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
Cooking Shrimp Using Sous Vide (Ignore if you dont want to use sous vide, see note1)
- Place the shrimp along with butter, salt and lemon slices in a ziploc bag. Press down and seal while removing out all the air.
- Set up the sous vide stick in a 6 qt pot filled with water. Select the shrimp recipe from sous smart panel. Or set at 130F for 35 minutes. Lower the ziploc bag into the water bath, clip to secure the bag to the side of the pot. Cook till sous vide session is finished.
- Once the shrimp is cooked, the ziplog bag will have juices. Reserve the juices.
Make the Cream sauce
- While the shrimp is cooking, make the cream sauce. Melt the butter over medium- high heat in a large skillet.
- Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes until transculent. Next, add the garlic, sprinkle the italion seasoning and saute for 15 seconds.
- Add the cream and simmer for 2 minutes. Dont let the cream boil.
- Carefully add the shrimp along with all the juices from the bag into the skillet. If using spinach or peas, add right now. Mix gently and let cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the parmesan cheese,mix everything, taste and add the salt and pepper(if you wish)
- Immediatley take off the heat, sprinkle parsley or cilantro and serve with bread or boiled pasta.
- Sear the shrimp on both sides for 2 minutes in 1 tablespoon butter in a medium hot skillet at the start of cooking. Once seared, take out in a plate, add second tablespoon of butter and proceed to make the sauce as in the recipe.Â
- If you are not using sous vide, you might need to add ¼ to ⅓ cup chicken stock to the sauce to thin it out a bit right when you add cream along with some lemon juice.Â
- Add a ½ teaspoon of chili flakes to add a nice kick to the sauce if desired.