If you love spiced burgers,then this recipe is for you. These chicken patty burgers are juicy and tender and loaded with spices (but they aren't hot). Homemade chicken burgers dont have to be boring. These are full of lot of textures and flavors throughout.
I skip the cheese altogether but ofcourse you can add cheese slices if you want. Instead I rely on the naturally fatty and creamy avocados and add them two ways. There is garlicky mashed avocado spread on the bottom brioche bun which is topped which a flavorful ground chicken patty and then for extra texture I add onions, pickles and lemony diced creamy avocados.You won't miss the cheese I promise.
Whenever you are choosing ground chicken for making burgers, always avoid ground chicken breast - it cannot stand the high heat of cooking and becomes very chewy. I go for a dark meat ground chicken which I get from my butcher but of course I have seen variety of ground chicken in the super stores. You can use ground turkey as well. Coming to avocados, the only thing to be kept in mind is to cover them in lime or lemon juice immediately.
Burgers are very easy to make. Really! These burgers are a huge hit with the kids. They are lunchbox friendly as well. If you add right amount of lemon juice to the avocados and wrap them well, they are good for a 3-4 hours. I like adding micro greens but you can add lettuce as well.
Indian Spiced Chicken & Avocado Burgers
For The Chicken Patties
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ inch fresh ginger,finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- 2-3 thai bird green chilies, adjust to tolerance
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 lb (450gms) ground chicken, room temperature (dont use ground chicken breast)
- 3 tablespoon cilantro, finely chopped
- 3-4 leaves fresh mint leaves
- 1.25 teaspoon salt
For Avocado Mash
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1 fat garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon very finely chopped scallions
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For the Burgers
- 4 to 6 brioche buns
- 1 large ripe avocado, diced
- Onions, tomatoes, dill pickles, micro greens
Making Chicken Patties
- Heat up 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet. Add onions, garlic, ginger, chillies, spice powders all at once to the oil. Saute for 4-5 minutes on low medium heat until you see that there is no moisture in the skillet. Take off the stove and cool down slightly.
- In a large bowl add the ground chicken, cilantro, mint, salt and the cooked onions and spices. Using a spatula or your hands, gently mix everything together. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
Make the Avocado Spread
- Peel and de seed 1 large avocado. Place it in a wide bowl, add the garlic, salt, lemon jucie and scallion. Using a fork mash the avocado.
- Dice the second avocado and toss it with some salt and lemon juice. Keep ready.
- Prepare the onions, tomatoes etc while the ground chicken is resting. Also brush the broiche buns on the inside with melted butter. Keep ready.
Make the Burgers
- Divide the ground chicken mixture into 6 equal portions. Oil your hands lightly and roll the portions into a ball. Pat the balls using your palms and fingers to make an evenly thick patty. Repeat till all the patties are formed. Do not make very thick patties to start with since these swell up while cooking.
- Heat up a grill or cast iron pan and oil it liberally.You can use a nonstick pan as well. Place the chicken patties 3 at a time on the pan and let cook. Cook for 3-4 minutes each side on low medium heat. Cover them for a minute or so towards the last minute to make sure that the chicken is cooked through. Adjust the time depending on how thick or thin your chicken patties are or the quality of your ground chicken.
- Side by Side toast the brioche buns on the skilllet.
- To build the burger place the botton bun on a board and spread the avocado mash on it. Next place the onion and tomato slices. Place the cooked chicken patty on top and add a few pickles. Add a few spoon fuls of diced avocados followed by micro greens. Place the top bun. Assemble all the burgers in the same fashion. Serve with french fries and beer.Enjoy!