With two kids on board, and heat wave on roll, I am always trying to push magic into busy mornings these days with make ahead breakfasts. We have had quite a summer this year and three digit temperatures are rocking our part of the world. Yogurt + fruit breakfasts are our favorite thing at this time of the year.
Just bake the yogurt and it sets overnight in the fridge and next morning add toppings as you wish. Here I did ghee caramelized bananas, chia seeds and walnuts. Kids sprinkle almond granola on theirs. Thick plain yogurt, bit of heavy cream(gives it little dessert like indulgence) and sweetener (I used date syrup, you can use honey) is all you need. its normal for yogurt to release a bit of water so make sure that the hug curd is really thick. A few pinches of green cardamom go well with smokiness of dates syrup.
The tastes faintly reminds me of mishit doi, its a super easy make ahead breakfast for busy mornings.
- 1.5 cup whole milk plain yogurt
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
- 3-4 tbsp date syrup or honey
- 1/4 tsp ground green cardamom
- Tie the yogurt in a cheesecloth or muslin bag for about 4-6 hours so that the liquid is strained. You will get about 1 cup of thick hung yogurt.
- Preheat overn to 250F.
- Place the hung yogurt with rest of the ingredinets in a large bowl and whisk very well.
- Transfer to the whisked yogurt to an oven safe dish. Cover the dish using aluminium foil.
- Place the dish in the preheated oven and bake for about 35 to 40 minutes until the sides are firm and the center is jiggly. You may see liquid seperating on sides, thats normal.
- Once baked, take out of the oven and let cool to room temperature. Chill for 6-8 hours before serving.
- Add toppings like granola, fruit, nuts or seeds as desired. You can make individual servings as well by baking in ramekins.