This delicious and easy tomato dish is full of textures. The ginger and curry leaves laced tomato gravy is mixed and topped with sev (chickpea flour noodles which are very popular in India) just before serving. Super easy and quick to make, this dish needs very basic ingredients from your pantry. Summer time is best for tomatoes and I like to preserve the sweet tangy taste of in season tomatoes with minimal use of spices.
This dish is very popular in western states of Rajasthan and Gujurat and though I didn’t grow up eating it at home, we enjoyed it on our road trips to Jaipur or at food stalls in the cultural hub of Delhi, the Delhi Haat.
It is upto you how pulpy you like the tomato gravy, I personally like it full of texture so I do not cook down the tomatoes a lot. The tomato base is gets the heat from green chilies, sweet from jaggery and smokiness from garam masala. The thick ratlami sev are a good choice because they don’t get mushy easily, are quite spicy and impart a lovely texture to this dish.
Tamatar Sev Sabji
- 4-5 ripe & firm large tomatoes
- 3 tbsp ghee, divided
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp hing
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 8-10 curry leaves
- 2 green chillies, roughly chopped or slit
- 1/4 tsp tumeric powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp hot red chili powder
- 1 tsp jaggery
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup ratlami sev or any thick sev
- Cilantro to garnish
- Chop the tomatoes into small pieces.
- Heat up 2 tbsp ghee in a pan on low medium heat. Crackle the mustard and cumin seeds followed by hing.
- Next, add the ginger, curry leaves and green chillies. Saute for 10-15 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes next and sprinkle salt, coriandr, red chilli and tumeric powder. Mix and saute the tomatoes for a couple minutes untill you see that they are warmed up.
- Cover the pan and let the tomatoes cook doen for 6-8 minutes on low medium heat until they are squishy but still have a lot of texture.
- Let the tomatoes bubble and add jaggery, 1 tbsp ghee and garam masala. Mix and let cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Switch off the stove and mix in the sev and chopped cilantro. Serve immediately with extra sev. Enjoy!