Maple-Ricotta Cheese Mousse. Easy, 4 ingredient Maple sweetened ricotta cheese mousse. This mousse is creamy, decadent and has a nice smoky flavor of pure maple syrup in every bite. Takes less than 15 minutes to make.
Ricotta Mousse is not too rich, rather has a soft milkiness to it. I love maple syrup, love adding it to desserts I make during Autumn/Winter months for its warming taste. Milky Ricotta plus smoky maple is a super delicious flavor! You can sprinkle some chopped nuts on top or add fresh fruits like berries, pomegranate arils or even citrus sections will work great too.
You will just need 4 ingredients for making this mousse :-
- Full Fat Ricotta Cheese
- Heavy Cream Or Whipping Cream
- Pure dark Maple Syrup
- Flavoring Agent - Could be Spices that you like or vanilla.
This refined sugar free mousse is ready in minutes once you have the ingredients ready to go.
Whats the Mousse Consistency Like?
Because its sweetened with maple syrup, this mousse isn't as stiff as mousse made with sugar, however its very fluffy and creamy. And delicious. There are no eggs or gelatin used. A lot of eggless mousse recipes use gelatin to get the right consistency but I don't use gelatin either. The key to using ricotta cheese in mousse recipes without losing the structure is to strain the ricotta cheese before using it.
Straining Ricotta cheese overnight (ideally) helps in removing the liquid (whey) from the cheese leaving behind a solid cheese - aka the good stuff. The taste of the cheese is much sweeter and concentrated and once whipped with heavy cream, it makes an amazing fuss free dessert.
How to Make Ricotta Maple Mousse ?
- Strain the Ricotta Cheese over a cheesecloth or paper towel overnight.
- Add the Ricotta Cheese with a little bit of maple syrup to a blender and puree till smooth.
- Whip together the heavy cream and ricotta cheese. We will add more maple syrup while doing so.
- Mix in the spices or vanilla. I like using ground cinnamon and freshly grated nutmeg.
- Chill for at least 4 hours. Serve with nuts and fruit.
How to Store and Serve the Mousse?
The mousse stores in the fridge perfectly for 2 days. Store it chilled until ready to serve. I found that beyond 2 days it became a bit watery.
Add fresh fruits or nuts on top just when you are serving. They add a nice texture to the mousse.
- 15 oz Whole Ricotta Cheese
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ to ⅓ cup dark maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- Pomegranate arils
- Chopped walnuts
- Line colander with a cheesecloth. Place the colander over a bowl. Add ricotta cheese over the cheesecloth. Let sit overnight or 8 hours to strain.
- Add strained ricotta with 2-3 tablespoon of maple syrup to a blender and blitz to smooth.
- In a bowl add the blended ricotta and heavy cream and using a hand held electric mixer beat on low speed for about 4 minutes till you see the cream getting thickened.
- Add another 3 tablespoon of maple syrup along with spices and beat for 4 more minutes or until fluffy and smooth.
- Divide between 4 to 6 serving jars or bowls. Chill for about 3-4 hours. Serve garnished with pomegranate arils and chopped walnuts.
- Please make sure that the cheese and heavy cream are super cold when you start making the mousse.
- Add and incorporate maple slowly while mixing the mousse.