Did you send an entry to Culinary Smackdown Battle-Mango Desserts?Please see details of the ongoing event here.
For the Lime Sugar Cookies [Makes 15 cookie sandwiches of the size shown]
- 1 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp white granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp fresh squeezed lime juice
For the blueberry cream cheese filling :
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1.5 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tbsp blueberry paste
For the Blueberry Paste:
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch
Lime Sugar Cookies
- In a medium bowl, sift flour,baking soda & powder, salt.Set aside
- In a larger bowl,cream the butter & sugar thoroughly untill fluffy.To this add the lime juice & vanilla and beat until combined.
- To the butter sugar mix, add the flour mix and gently combine with a spatula to bring together into a dough.You might need to add a tbsp or more of milk at this stage if required to make a soft dough.
- Divide the dough into 2 small balls.Take a piece of plastic cling film, put the dough balls on it and flatten with palm to make a disc.Wrap the discs with plastic cling film.Repeat the same with 2nd dough ball.Chill both discs for about 30 minutes.
- Line your cookie sheet with parchment paper.Avoid using aluminium foil as the extreme heating up will burn the cookies from bottom.
- After chilling, take one disc out, unwrap it and place it between two sheets of parchment paper. Initially, you may find it little difficult to roll because of the chilled dough.It will soften as you go along.
- Roll the disc using a floured rolling-pin into a sheet about 1/4″ thk.
- Using a floured cookie cutter cut the cookies from the rolled dough.
- Using a floured thin spatula, transfer the cookies to the lined cookie sheet.Note: Picking up the cookies with fingers will deshape them.
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Chill the cut cookies again for 15 minutes.
- Once chilled, bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes until the sides start turning brown.
- Cool completely on a cooling rack.
Tip in the blueberries, water and sugar to a small sauce pan.Cook it on low heat until the blueberries are soft and mushy.Transfer to a blender.Blend on high to form a puree.Dissolve cornstarch into lemon juice.Transfer the puree to sauce pan again and add cornstarch mix.Cook on very low heat for about 5-8 minutes until you get a thick paste.Cool completely before adding to the cream.
Blueberry Cream Filling:
Make the filling by beating the cream cheese & butter with an electric mixer. Mix in powdered sugar until smooth.Add 2 tbsp of the cooled blueberry paste above to make a smooth mix.
Pipe or spread 1-2 tablespoons of blueberry filling in the center of a cookie. Top with a second cookie and press together until the filling reaches the edges of the cookies.Store in an air tight box for up to 3 days.
- Use any kind of berries or fruits to make the filling.The recipe remains the same.
- I have mentioned the baking times on my oven.Since all ovens are different, please adjust the times as per your appliance.
- You will need to adjust lime juice if your berries are really tart.
Enjoy! Thanks for stopping by!
Sending this to Hearth n Soul #43