Ingredients (Serves 2-3)
- 5-6 eggs
- 1 generous pinch turmeric powder
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cut into halves or quarters
- 3-4 tbsp mustard oil (substitute with canola/grapeseed oil)
- 1 green cardamom, cracked open
- 1/4″ cinnamon stick
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 small garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger (adjust quantity to taste)
- 1 cup tomatoes, finely chopped (slight sour variety)
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder (adjust to taste)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/8 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp amchoor (dry mango powder)
- 1/2 cup water (or more depending on desired consistency)
- 1/2 tsp kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves, skip if you do not have)
- Fresh cilantro to garnish – as much as you want
Hard Boil the eggs. I use this recipe to get perfectly hard -boiled eggs.
Peel the eggs, slit (but not all the way through) them using a sharp knife and rub them with a generous pinch of turmeric powder and let sit.
In a heavy bottomed pot, add the oil and heat on medium – high till you see faint ripples on the oil surface.If using mustard oil, you will need to heat it a little longer till to do away the raw smell.Reduce heat to medium. Add the cardamom and cinnamon stick and let crackle for 10-120 seconds. Add the finely chopped onions next and cook them till golden brown. About 6-8 minutes.
Next, add the garlic & ginger and cook for 1-2 minutes till you start smelling a nice aroma.Reduce the heat to low and add the tomatoes next along with coriander,turmeric,chilli,garam masala & amchoor powder. Start to cook this masala on low heat. After about 3-4 minutes add the potatoes, cover and cook the masala till you see the oil separating on the sides of the pan. About 8-10 minutes. In between, if you see masala sticking to the bottom of pan, add some water. .This slow cooking is very important to develop flavors and color of the paste, do not rush.Allow the masala to reduce till it acquires beautiful reddish to brown color and the potatoes are 90% done.
Add the turmeric rubbed eggs to the pot, sprinkle the kasuri methi, add more water (if you want a thinner gravy),cover and let cook for another 5-7 minutes. Put off the stove and let sit at least 2 hours before serving.
Warm up, garnish with cilantro and serve!