So if you do not desire to put in the baby sitting it needs, turn the same recipe to a sorbet. It tastes as good.
Ingredients (Serves 4-5)
- 1 lb green mangoes( about 6-7small )
- Water for boiling the mangoes
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar (or to taste)
- 3/4 cup water
- 5-6 fresh mint stems and leaves
- 1 small green chili, seeds and veins removed
- 1.5 tablespoon fresh lime juice (adjust quantity depending on how tart the mangoes are)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (adjust quantity depending on how tart the mangoes are)
- 1.5 teaspoon black salt (kala namak, reduce amount if the mangoes are really tart)
- 1/4 teaspoon regular salt ( or to taste)
Wash the mangoes. Bring the water to a rolling boil in a pot and add the whole mangoes. Let boil on high heat for 5-8 minutes or until the skin turns pale and they are slightly soft to touch(take care that the mango skins do not break open). Take the mangoes out of boiling water and leave to cool off. Once cooled, peel off (the skin will separate in a squeeze) and discard the skins.
While the magpies are boiling, in another small pot, combine sugar and water and place over medium heat,cook, stirring occasionally, until sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from the stove, immediately add the mint stems and leaves and leave aside to steep for about 3-5 minutes (do not leave for too long else the syrup will turn bitter). Strain the syrup through a sieve and let cool down.
Transfer the mango flesh and green chili( if using) to a blender and pulse to smooth. Take out in a large bowl and add the mint simple syrup, lime & lemon juice, black salt and salt to taste to it. Mix to combine. Strain through a sieve to a smooth mixture.
Pour mixture into a 11 inch by 7 inch glass pan. Cover and let freeze for 1 hour and 30 minutes uncovered. Scrape the icy edges with a fork. Freeze again. Scrape every 45 minutes until completely frozen (about 6-8 hours). Remove from freezer every hour or so; scrape with a fork until fluffy. Once semi solid ice crystals are formed, scrape till fluffy.Cover tightly and freeze. Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep frozen.
Scrape granita into bowls and serve garnished with lime wedges and mint.Dust with a pinch of chaat masala or black salt just before serving(optional).