Rose Pistachio Mawa Ladoo
3 ingredient, nutty Mawa Pistachio ladoos flavored with rose.
- 200 gms mawa/mava,crumbled
- 7 tbsp powdered/confectioners sugar
- 180 gms coarse pistachio powder +1/4 chopped pistachios(optional) ,see notes
- 1.5 tbsp rose water (or 1-2 drops of rose essence)
- 1-2 tsp ghee (optional, if needed for rolling ladoos)
Add mawa/mava to a nonstick pan. Place the pan on stove,switch on the stove on low heat. Let the mawa soften. Mawa softens very quickly and needs attention so that it dosent get burnt. Keep stirring using a spatula.
I didnt need to add any extra ghee to mawa, if you feel your mawa is on a dry side add a tablespoon or so of ghee.
Once mawa is soft(dont let brown), immediately add the sugar and pistachios together. Mix well untill nicely combined. Keep the heat low, cook everything for 1-2 minutes.
Switch off the stove and mix in the rose water and chopped pistachios(if using). Wait for 5 minutes or until the mixture feels cool enough to handle. Dont let the mixture completely cool down.
Smear some ghee on your hands and divide into 8-10 equal portions. Roll into smooth ladoos. Store for 3-4 days refrigerated.
- I lightly dry toast the pistachios for 2-3 minutes on a hot skillet. Don't let the color change, toasting helps in blooming the oils of nuts.
- The sugar quantity can go up to 9-10 tablespoons if you like sweeter ladoos.Â
- I chop the pistachios on a cutting board to a coarse fine powder instead of using a grinder. It takes a bit of effort but the texture and taste of nuts is really better that way.Â
- You can replace rose with cardamom or saffron flavor if desired.Â