Brioche Toasts with Saffron Rabdi
Ghee Crisped Brioche Toasts drizzled with Instant Saffron Rabdi.
Servings: 6 toasts
For the brioche Toasts
- 6 slices brioche bread
- Ghee for pan frying (about 1 tbsp per toast)
- Rabdi to serve (recipe below), as much or as little you want
For Instant Rabdi (makes a little over 1 cup rabdi)
- 2 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup full fat or malai paneer, fine grated or crumbled very fine
- 5 tbsp fine ground almonds, I use store bought blanched almond meal
- 1/2 cup condensed milk
- 1/4 tsp ground green cardamom
- 10-12 saffron strands, dissolved in 1 tbsp warm milk
- 1/3 cup silvered almonds and pistachios to garnish
Make the Rabdi
Add milk to a heavy bottomed pot. Place on a stove, bring to a boil, reduce the stove to low medium and let the milk simmer for 15 minutes, stir periodically to make sure that it dosent stick to the bottom of the pot. The milk will almost reduce to half its volume and start getting thick.Scrape the sides of the pot every now and then and add back the malai scrappings to the milk.
Once the milk has reduced a bit, add the crumbled paneer, ground almonds and condensed mil, mix well and cook stirring often. Stirring often makes the rabdi creamy and also breaks down the paneer for the right (slightly grainy) texture of rabdi. Cook for about 8-10 minutes or till it reaches the desired thickness. Taste and if you feel you can add 1-2 tbsp of sugar if you feel that the rabdi isnt sweet enough. I like to keep in lightly sweet else it tastes quite heavy.
When the rabdi has thickned, add the cardamom and soaked saffron.Mix well. Cook for 2 more minutes Take off the stove and let it sit covered till it warm.