Bread slices dipped in spiced chickpea flour batter and pan fried. These vegan toasts are so delicous for breakfast or snack.
Servings: 8 half toasts
- ¾ cup besan(chickpea flour)
- ⅓ to ½ cup water, as needed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon kasuri methi(crushed)
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala
- Pinch ajwain (carrom seeds)
- ⅓ cup finely chopped onions
- 2-3 hot green chilies, finely chopped ,adjust to taste
- 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 4-5 white bread slices, cut in half diagonally
- 1-2 tablespoon olive oil per toast
In a large bowl, add the besan and start adding water slowly. Stir continously so as to get a thick lump free batter. See video for the consistency. Keep aside for 5 minutes.
Add the spices, chopped onions, green chilies and cilantro. Taste and adjust the salt. Mix well.
Set a heavy cast iron skillet or tawa to heat on medium heat. Once nicely hot (but not suoper hot), spread 2-3 tablespoon of oil on the skillet.
Dip the bread slices in the besan batter to cover both sides. Immediately place on the hot skillet. Let cook on each side for 3-4 minutes without disturbing till the besan coating is browned. Once the besan is cooked, toast will leave the pan on its own. Once you flip the toast, add a litle more oil. Even though we arent deep fryring, these need a little extra oil to not get dry. It takes a bit of practice to undertand the right temperature of the griddle. If you will cook on very high heat, the toasts will be cooked outside but will be raw inside. A low medium stove with a heavy skillet that retains heat is good choice
Serve warm with yogurt, chutney or ketchup. Enjoy!