A tangy fusion dish of vinegar soaked chicken stirred with garlic – chili paste, soy and spices.
- 1 lb boneless chicken thighs,skinless
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 tbsp dark soya sauce ((I use Chingâ€
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, fresh cracked
- 1.5 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2-3 tablespoon of oil (for skillet frying)
- Use tofu, paneer and assorted vegetables for a vegetarian version of this recipe.
- If you would like to deep fry the chicken before adding to the sauce, mix 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour and 1 tablespoon corn starch when you marinate.
For the Sauce
- 6 fresh garlic pods
- 2 whole fresh Fresno chillies (or any hot chili pepper, adjust to tolerance, de seed if you like )
- 2 teaspoon dark soya sauce (I use Chingâ€
- 2 tablespoon chilli tomato sauce (I use Maggi Hot & sweet, substitute with Sriracha & 1/2 teaspoon cayenne, or use 1.5 – 2 tablespoons Sambal oelek )
- 1.5 tsp honey (or brown sugar, adjust to taste)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon pure, untoasted sesame oil (optional but recommended)
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1/2 cup chicken/vegetable stock or water
- 3-4 tbsp oil (I used sunflower, use any neutral oil)
- 5 scallion stalks, white & green cut separately
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh tomatoes, finely chopped
- 3/4 tsp red pepper flakes (adjust to tolerance)
- Salt to taste
- 1.5 – 2 tbsp white vinegar (adjust to taste, or use a few dashes of balsamic vinegar)
- For Garnish â€“ chopped scallions(green parts)
Clean the chicken, pat it dry. Cut the cleaned chicken into bite size pieces. Rub it with garlic, chili, soy sauce, salt & pepper, vinegar and let sit for about 25-30 minutes.
While the chicken is marinating, using your mortar and pestle or mini processor, crush the garlic and Fresno chillies to tiny bits.You could use some water if required for blending.
In a small bowl, mix up the soy sauce, chili tomato sauce, honey and sesame oil(if using). In another bowl, mix the cornstarch with the stock and set aside.
In a wide skillet (I used my 12â€³), heat up 2-3 tbsp of oil on high. Pick up the marinated chicken pieces, shake to release vinegar and layer on the skillet and let sear on both sides, flipping in between. Make sure that the chicken pieces cook all the way through. This may take about 7-8 minutes or more depending on the size of pieces.
Once done, transfer the chicken pieces to a plate and reserve the drippings in the skillet itself.
Add the 3 tbsp oil into the same skillet and heat it up on medium. Add the crushed garlic chili paste and fry up these for 20-30 second or so till you smell the aroma. Be careful that the garlic does not burn (else it will be bitter). Next add the chopped onions and scallions (white parts) and cook on medium high for 3-4 minutes or till light brown in color. Add the tomatoes next and let cook till they begin to soften. Next, add the ginger along with the soy sauce mix made earlier, let cook for 3-4 minutes till everything starts looking glossy or till you see bubbles on the sides. Next, add the cornstarch mix to the skillet. Reduce the heat to low and let everything simmer for another 2-3 minutes till the sauce thickens slightly.
Next, taste & adjust the salt in the sauce. Sprinkle the red chili flakes & vinegar to the skillet and stir everything well. Add the chicken & toss so that the pieces are evenly coated.
Garnish with chopped green scallions & serve immediately.