What I need:
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, roughly chopped + more for topping
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice [optional if you have tart strawberries]
- 2-3 leaves fresh mint leaves + more for garnish
- 3 tbsp white granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp unflavored granulated gelatin
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
How I did it:
- Pulse the chopped strawberries along with lemon and mint leaves in the processor.Transfer to a bowl, tip in the gelatin and whisk well.Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat the cream to thick peakes.This is important coz once you add the crushed strawberry mix,the mixture will loosen out a bit.
- In another large bowl, beat the ricotta cheese and sugar together until smooth.
- Gently fold in the whipped cream with the ricotta cheese along with crushed strawberry mix.
- Transfer the mousse to serving bowls and refrigerate for at least 3 hours to set.
- Before serving top with chopped strawberries and more whipped cream and few mint leaves.Serve cold.
Sending this to It’s a keeper.
This recipe was featured on 100 ways to use Strawberries at Endless Simmer.
Another reader successfully tried this recipe.See here.The blog is in a non-english language so I could not read it but the picture says it all.Thank you LILLA!
These cookies were tried by 3 people I know of who came back and told me about their experience.I m linking them here and here. One of the bakers, Mindy commented on the post herself that they turned out good for her. But for Rachelle, it didnt work out fine.I am adding these feedbacks to help those people who want to try out this recipe.Thanks everyone.Your suggestions are always welcome.
What I need: [Makes 22 cookies of the size shown][updated]
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter [softened]
- 7 tbsp granulated white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp baking powder [use aluminium free]
- pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp thick crushed fresh strawberry mix [homemade by crushing strawberries with 1 tsp of milk [if required]+2 drops of red food color] [the quantity of strawberry mix will vary depending upon the consistency,please be judgemental]
- Nutella [for filling]
How I did it:
- Sift the flour, salt and baking powder together in a bowl.Set aside.
- In another bowl, cream the softened butter and sugar using a hand-held mixer for about 4 minutes.
- Add the vanilla extract and crushed strawberry to the bowl and combine well with the butter mixture using a whisk.
- Fold in the flour mixture with the butter mixture gently to form a dough.The dough will be soft and a little sticky but not loose.Do not over mix. You might need to oil your hands and bring the dough together.
- Once combined, cover the dough with a plastic cling film and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F/175 C.
- Line your cookie sheet with a parchment paper.
- Take out the refrigerated dough,lightly oil your palms and make small balls with it.Put the balls on the cookies sheet and press down slightly to flatten out.
- With the help of your thumb or back of a tea-spoon make a small hole in the middle of the cookies where u ll fill the nutella after baking.
- If at this point you feel that the butter in the cookies is melting, refrigerate again for about 15 minutes.
- Bake the cookies in the oven for about 8-12 minutes or untill the bottom starts turning brown. Mine took 10 minutes exact.Do not bake them beyond 12 mins.These will continue to cook after you take them out of the oven.
- Take out the cookie sheet from the oven and using the teaspoon again press out the hole in the cookies.You will not be able to do this after the cookies have cooled.
- Once the cookies have cooled, fill in the nutella in the little holes in the cookies.
- Serve with cold milk.
I have adjusted these from a basic recipe here .Notes:
- The consistency of strawberry mix is of real importance.Make a thick, almost paste like mix in your processor/blender.If some bits remain, it does not matter but the mix should not be runny or watery.
- The color of cookies/dough can differ depending on how red your strawberries are.I chopped off the white portions and used red part only.
- I made my cookies less sweet because with nutella filling they could be very overwhelming.
- The dough can be slightly difficult to work with,but refrigerate and it will be manageable.
- Since every oven is different, the time of baking may vary from appliance to appliance.
- You can fill in the cookies with any jam or melted chocolate chips too.
Enjoy! Have a nice weekend everyone.
Sending these to Culinary Smackdown Battle-Cookies