Cardamom Shrikhand With Mango Saffron Compote

Allow me to call it a beauty.I dont mean fancy or flashy.Neither I want to hint that I toiled over this dessert for hours. It is something hopelessly easy to make, yet succeeds in achieving the delight a dessert is supposed to bring. Softly tart yogurt flavored with freshly ground elaichi (cardamom),topped with a luscious mango saffron compote – as simple as it can get but like a little sunshine on the spoon.

It is hard to believe that something so unfancy & minimal as yogurt & sugar can turn into a creation which appeals to the sweet tooth. I admit that cardamom & cream add more body to the dessert – making it a little more wonderful.Cream is traditionally not used – I like it for the added richness that it lends here. Trust me, never a easy dessert would taste so very spectacular.

Shrikhand is a yogurt based sweet dish originally from western parts of India. But now, it is popular all over the subcontinent. Basic shrikhand recipe is like a blank canvas – some like to add nuts, some combine chopped or pureed fruits with it and some let the melt in the mouth consistency remain unadulterated. Experiment as it pleases you.

I ate shrikhand for the first time prepared by one of my friend’s mom in Pune. She served it along side pooris (deep-fried flatbread) & a spicy bean sprouts curry. The combo was tad odd for me. Supposedly the yogurt is supposed to calm down the spices of the meal as you eat.I m not exactly sure how few bits of that first not-so- appreciable taste testing stuck with me.Eight years down the line & now I immensely enjoy shrikhand with pooris. Just like any comfort food, the sugar & oil overload is quite addictive.

Usually, pureed mango is mixed with hung yogurt & shrikhand becomes amrakhand. My favorite summer fruit is here. I bought season’s first batch last week & they seemed perfect to add a texture to the dessert.The mangoes were ripe & sweet – a compote was definitely on my mind. Addition of saffron to it seemed an obvious decision to accentuate the exotic flavors. The fact that I prepared the dessert with homemade dahi (indian style yogurt) made me a little happy than usual.

All in all shrikhand scores as season celebrating dessert- perfect for those humid, sultry summer months when you want the refrigerator do all the work.Only when you make it, you will know how simple it is to put together; and fantastic too at the same time. Go try it!

Printable Recipe

Preparation Time :- About 8 hours (includes draining in the refrigerator)

Cooking Time :- 10 minutes (for both shrikhand & mango compote)

Ingredients (Makes 4 servings)

For the Shrikhand

• 1.5 cups whole milk plain dahi (substitute with plain yogurt)
  • 100ml heavy cream, cold
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar (or to taste)
  • 8-9 green cardamom pods (or 1/2 tsp cardamom powder)
  • pinch of nutmeg powder
For the Mango Compote
  • 3 tbsp luke warm water
  • 1/4 tsp saffron threads
  • 1/2 tbsp fresh lime juice
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp lime zest
  • 2 ripe mangoes, peeled, cored, diced
Needed:- Colander, Muslin/CheeseCloth,Bowls
Method
Making Shrikhand
Line a colander with muslin/cheese cloth large enough that you can tie up its ends. Place the colander over a large bowl. Ensure that there is gap between the colander bottom & the bowl bottom to collect the draining liquid. Pour the dahi into the colander,wrap up and tie up all the ends of the muslin/cheesecloth. Let the dahi drain for at least 6 hours or preferably overnight inside the refrigerator.Note :- Dont leave dahi while it drains outside, else it will turn sour. Discard the whey once drained. Reserve the muslin/cheesecloth. (If in hurry, you can use Greek yogurt to make shrikhand too. Skip this step if doing so)

Transfer the strained, thick, cold dahi into a bowl. Add cream to it and start whisking using a hand beater. Slowly add the sugar and beat until you get slightly stiff peaks.
Again tie the dahi – cream mix in the muslin/cheesecloth & let drain in the colander arrangement (as explained above) for another 2 hours inside the refrigerator.
Break open the cardamom pods & grind the seeds using a mortar & pestle.Tip – Always buy whole cardamom pods.This way of making your own powder saves a lot of money.
After 2 hours, transfer the drained dahi  mix to a bowl. Add cardamom & nutmeg powder and stir gently with a wooden spoon. Let chill for at least 3-4 hours or till ready to serve.
Scoop the chilled shrikhand into serving bowls & top with mango compote (recipe below)
Making Mango Compote
In a medium bowl, dissolve the saffron in lukewarm water till it dissolves. About a minute or so. Stir in the lime juice, sugar and mix till sugar dissolves. Add in diced mangoes. Cover and chill upto 1 day.
Enjoy & thanks for stopping by!

About these ads

Comments

1. adornment says:

Lovely ! Shrikhand reminds me of my Badi Mummy who used to make it so perfectly ! Yummy cool concoction for a hot summer afternoon.. One question did you use our Indian Alphonso mangoes in this ? Do you get them here ?

• Thanks Neha. I did not use alphonso. I dont think I can get them here, maybe not even at indian stores. I use ataulfo mangoes from mexico. I think they come closest to indian taste.

• adornment says:

Thank you for the name of the mangoes , so I know what to look out for ! Keep sharing your goodness with us ! :)

2. adornment says:

I wonder where my previous comment disappeared anyways ! I had written ” Thats a lovely recipe ! reminds me of my Badi Mummy, she used to make shrikhand perfectly !! Yummy cool concoction for a hot summer afternoon….Thank you for the recipe….I have a question….What kind of mangoes did you use in this ? Do you get Alphonsos here in US ? ”

-Neha

3. That looks and sounds delicious! I am waiting for my delivery of Alphonso mangoes this weekend. Will definitely be trying your recipe out. :)

4. Oh so refreshing! I love this kind of refreshing desserts.

5. Looks too heavenly … totally smitten by snaps ..

6. Love your ivory spoon and I love anything with yogurt so this is a total winner in my book!

7. Nami | Just One Cookbook says:

Another amazing recipe and photography Tanvi! I love your dessert recipe and this looks wonderful…especially tons of mangoes in it. ^_^

8. Hi Tanvi, I love the intricacy with which you write about every recipe. The photos just make it even more desirable! I can tell the amount of time, patience and work you put into each post. Great stuff :)

9. I haven’t gotten myself to make anything with mangoes yet (other than the granola bars) because i am right now enjoying them plain. But this recipe looks super duper tempting :)

10. A fabulous dessert! refined, fresh and delicious.

cheers,

Rosa

11. I am also going nuts here whenever I am in market…Can see only mangoes !! As you said very easy and no hassle but tasty and yummy. Gorgeous clicks as usual

12. This truly is a beauty Tanvi. It is a lovely dish which you have captured it to perfection

13. Omg, thats a super tempting,droolworthy and irresistible shrikhand..

14. dassana says:

beautiful clicks. agree with you that some homemade curd with cardamom and sugar is a simple and gorgeous dessert.

i already have an amrakhand recipe on my site which i posted a while ago. with the mangoes in full season here, we usually have them plain or sometimes i make baked goodies.

15. What a delight this treat is! I can imagine that the creamy portion and the sweet/tangy mango compote compliment each other perfectly!

16. This sounds wonderful and perfect for a warm day. I love the flavors.

17. Oh I love Shrikhand anytime!!These look divine and those mangoes,man I need to get some mangoes right now!!Gorgeous!

18. How beautiful – love the airy, bright photos. Hope you saved some for me. :)

19. Great recipe Tanvi, its perfect as I love yogurt and mango. Your photo definitely speaks more!

20. Congratulations on making the foodbuzz Top 9!

21. Beautiful clicks. Yummy Shrikhand, I just love all the ingredients.

22. Beautiful Pictures Tanvi.. Totally in love!

23. wow such beautiful pics, i really think you should upgrade to a SLR, you are doing so good with a Point and shoot (if you are using this), with SLR you would do wonders

24. Beautiful as always Tanvi!!!
    i love shrikhand, who doesn’t right…..

25. This looks simply fabulous..Lovely and colourful clicks..

26. Beautiful pics. I love the yellow color. The compote sounds yummy and a nice twist to the traditional shrikhand.

27. Love your pictures! :)

28. Love your pictures!
    Kajal @ http://sweettoothcraving.blogspot.com/

29. That is beautiful Tanvi, I love good, thick yogurt with jam or anything sweet. Or any dairy for that matter.Love to combine feta cheese with jam too :) So this is perfect for my taste :)

30. Delicious shrikhand!! Now I need to source out sweet mangoes and make this ASAP!

31. the perfect way to use my mangoes from the fridge=)
    xoxo

32. Mangoes are my weakness. This shrikhand looks amazing and as usual your photography is stunning!!!

33. A beauty is right! This looks so inviting, and I adore mangoes!

34. Tarak Parekh says:

Awesome recipe.. I made it this weekend for my own graduation ceremony and it came out well. I used frozen berries instead of mangoes… Thanks!

35. OH this looks just divine! gorgeous gorgeous photos! and I agree, there’s nothing better than a really ripe sweet mango! love the addition of saffron in the compote, and the cardamom, one of my favourite spices!

36. I made it and ate it up just now. Till now I had only eaten the store bought skrikhands so I have to say that this was a revelation. The alternating tastes of mango compote and creamy srikhand is pure pure bliss. Another winner from Sinfully Spicy!

• Thanks Priya.Love that you try the recipes & give your feedback. Do let me know about the ones that you dont like ;)

37. Nikhil says:

Tanvi– I have to thank you for this recipe. I had never made shrikhand before in my life, as it always seemed so daunting. But I made it the other day when I had some family over and it was a huge hit. For all your lazy readers out there, I took a few short cuts and it still turned out amazing. First of all, I used Greek yoghurt. Secondly, I didn’t bother to drain the dahi after adding the cream, nor did I bother to put it in the fridge for two hours. (Next time, I think I will skip the cream entirely, so as to make it less fatty. As it is, I used 0% fat Greek yoghurt). Lastly, I didn’t use as much sugar as is called for in the recipe, which does make it less authentic, but we liked it nonetheless. The shrikhand with the mango compote was a genius idea of yours, thank you again!