Thank god it's almost Friday. It's been a super busy week and these sandwiches have saved lunches this week.
I started playing with this recipe sometime when quarantine started in April and finally I think I got there. If you stroll around streets of Delhi, you will find hawkers selling those creamy vegetables/chicken sandwiches. With truck load of mayo and butter in them, slightly sweetish and really delicious.I love them!
This sandwich is a huge hit in our home.My recipe doesn't have mayo or butter, it's elevated by pudina(mint) chutney and lots of fresh herbs and lemon but I think of those sandwiches when I make it. Needs a bit of preparation- cooking chicken, making chutney etc. And lunch gets so easy to put together from there.
Some blanched petite peas go in, on somedays itâ€™s shredded carrots or spinach. So amazing between soft white sandwhich bread (kids love that way) I like it between rye or sourdough too. Best eaten room temperature like the ones you find on streets.
Chutney Chicken Sandwich
To cook the chicken
- 1 chicken breast boneless. skinless, about 8 oz in weight
- 3-4 black peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1-2 drops lemon juice
For Cheese Chutney filling
- 4 ox cream cheese softened
- 4 tablespoon greek yogurt plain
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ¼ cup scallion chopped
- 2-3 tablespoon green chutney recipe
- 3 tablespoon fresh chopped herbs cilantro & fresh mint (use dill, chives, scallions whatever you have at hand)
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon sriracha optional
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
To Make Sandwich
- 8 slices sandwich bread
- Any vegetables you want like shredded carrots or spinach leaves etc optional
Cook The Chicken
- Set a pot of water (about 2 cups) to boil on stove. Add ½ salt, lemon juice and peppercorns. When the water is boiling, slowly place the chicken breast in there.
- Reduce to a low medium simmer, cover the pot and let boil for 8-10 mins. Switch off the stove. Adjust time depending on the thickness and quality of chicken breast.
- Using tongs, pick the chicken breast out, you can use water as stock for soup etc. Dry the chicken and using two forks, on a cutting board, thinly shred the chicken.
Make Cheese Chutney Filling
- While the chicken is boiling, you can make the green chutney and the sandwich filling.
- In a large bowl, add the ingredients listed under "cheese chutney filling".
- Using a spoon, mix very well. Taste and adjust whatever you feel like- sour, salt, sweet etc. Add the shredded chicken and combine everything. The mixture should be spreadable. Use yogurt to adjust the consistency. Taste salt and adjust to taste.
- Stuff the chicken filling between 2 slices of bread. Cut into triangles if desired.