Ricotta Cheese Ice Cream With Roasted Strawberries
Creamy dreamy eggless ricotta ice cream with roasted strawberries folded in. Makes for a perfecter sweet treat during spring or summer months!
Servings: 6 servings
For Roasting The Strawberries
- 1 lb fresh strawberries
- 1.5 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1-2 tablespoon granulated sugar
For Ice Cream
- 7 graham cracker sheets
- 20 oz ricotta cheese whole
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup condensed milk
- ¼ teaspoon fine salt
- 10-12 strawberries chopped into bits
Roasting the Strawberries
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F. Position the oven rack to the middle. I use glass or ceramic baking dish but if using any other kind, line with parchment paper.
- Thoroughly wash the strawberries under running stream of water.Dry them between folds of kitchen towel to completely remove any moisture.
- Cut each berry in half for larger berries or cut into quarters for smaller ones. Layer the cut berries in a single layer in the baking dish.
- Add fresh lemon juice & zest over the berries. Sprinkle the sugar.
- Roast the berries inside the oven for 25 -40 minutes or until the juices thicken, they become syrupy, but the edges of the berries do not burn. The time will depends on the size of the berries and whether they are at the edge of the pan (faster) or in the middle (slower).Keep an eye.
- Remove roasted strawberries and juices & let cool to room temperature. Using a fork gently mash the berries. If you want to make ice cream later, these roasted berries can sit in the fridge for 3-5 days.
Make The Ice Cream
- Place the graham cracker sheets in a ziplock bag & pound using a rolling pin crush into fine bits. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, lightly whisk together ricotta cheese and heavy cream until smooth. Add the condensed milk , salt. Stir to combine.
- Fold in the roasted berries along with crushed graham crackers. Pour the ricotta mixture into an ice cream maker and churn/freeze according to the manufacturer's directions. Add the chopped strawberries 8-10 minutes before the end of freezing.Alternatively you can pour the mixture into a glass/metal dish, stir in the chopped berries and freeze. You will need to stir the mix every 2 hours to slow for a creamy ice cream. Let freeze overnight or for at least 6 hours.
- To Serve- Using an ice cream scoop, places scoops of ice cream in the serving bowls, top up with fresh grated lemon zest, nuts,or reserved roasted berries.Serve immediately.
- Summer strawberries are quite sweet, so I added sugar accordingly. This recipe makes a faintly sweet ice cream. If your berries are tart or you prefer sweeter ice creams, increase the condensed milk.
- This recipe can be used for any kind of berries or stone fruits.
- You can add few teaspoons of balsamic vinegar or maple sugar while roasting the strawberries for added flavor.