Mango Sponge soaked in sweetened milk concoction and covered in mango whipped cream.This cake is bursting with mango flavor in each bite. It is perfect for summer birthdays or for taking along for summer gatherings. You can make it 1-2 days in advance.
Tres(Three) Leche(Milk) cakes are traditional to Latin America and they are sponge cakes that are perforated after baking and then soaked in a sauce made with three kinds of milk - evaporated milk, condensed milk and heavy cream. The sponge itself is airy and its absorbs the milk sauce to form a luscious, dense and rich cake.
There are quite a few steps to this recipe but nothing too complicated. The 3 essential steps of making this cake are - baking the mango sponge, soaking it in milk sauce and topping it with the whipped cream. You can bake and soak the cake on one day and then next day just make the whipped cream and slather it on top. You can use fresh seasonal mangoes to make a homemade puree or use store-bought mango puree.
Mango Sponge - This is an eggless mango sponge which is super easy to make and its a one bowl recipe. Mango is one of the most delicious seasonal summer fruit. There is a prominent mango flavor in this cake. I did not not use any spices or essence in the cake batter because I wanted pure mango flavor. However you can definitely add some cardamom or vanilla if you wish. The cake has a beautiful texture and it gets nicely browned. When you cut into it, the sponge is nicely dyed with natural yellow color of mangoes, there is no food color. Make sure to used the best ripest and sweetest mangoes you can find else use store bought mango puree.
Milk Sauce - After the cake is baked, it is doused in a milk sauce made with evaporated milk, condensed milk and heavy cream. Allow for at least 6 hours of chilled soaking.
Mango Whipped Cream- Simply heavy cream whipped with mango puree and flavored with green cardamom powder. This mango whipped cream is just irrestible and I can imagine it on so many things from pancakes to waffles to just on its own.
Mango Tres Leches
- Glass Mixing Bowls, Baking Tools
For The Eggless Mango Sponge
- ¾ cup mango puree (from 3-4 ripe mangoes or use store bought) , see notes
- ¼ cup whole milk
- ⅓ cup neutral oil
- 1+¾ cup all purpose flour
- 1+½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 12 oz evaporated milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 9oz sweetened condensed milk
For Mango Whipped Cream
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoon mango puree
- 4 tbps powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon green cardamom powder
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line the bottom of an 8 inch non stick round cake pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl,combine mango puree, milk and oil. Whisk for 2 minutes so that everything is combined and of mango color.
- Place a large sieve(or use a flour sifter) over the bowl. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Sift the flour mixture over the wet ingredients.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold the wet and dry ingredients together until no white specks of flour are visible. Dont over mix.
- Transfer the batter to the cake pan. Using a flat spatula, smoothen the top of the cake.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Once baked, remove the cake from the oven and proceed to soaking (see instructions below)
Make the Milk Sauce
- While the cake is baking, combine all the ingredients in a large bowl (preferably with a spout). Whisk well. Save about ¾ cup milk sauce for serving. When the cake is cooled, pierce the surface of the cake alll over using fork or a skewer. Slowly drizzle the milk mixture over the cake.
Mango Whipped Cream
- Add the heavy cream and sugar into a chilled mixing bowl and beat on high speed for about a minute till you see its starting to get thick. Add the mango puree and cardamom powder and beat on high speed for another minute and a half till the cream is thick and spreadable.
- Spread all over the cake and chill the cake for atleast 6 hours before serving. Enjoy!
- You can use the fresh mangoes to make the mango puree at home.We need 1 cup of mango puree in this recipe.I add the flesh of about 1 lb of mangoes (4-5) with 1 -2 tablespoon sugar to a blender and bend on high speed. I recommend straining the puree to make sure that there are no fibres and its ultra smooth.
- You can use a 9 inch by 13 inch rectangular cake pan to make this recipe as well. The cake might be slightly thinner.