The star here is fresh ground kali mirch or coarse black peppercorn. Combined with lots of ginger & garlic, black peppercorns provide an uncomplicated kick to the dish - which turns out to be the highlight. Succulent chicken coated in a thick masala - Â I like to serve this as starter or snack with drinks. The particular thing that I absolutely like about this dish is the color from turmeric,which makes it so bright & appetizing. Less oil & easy to cook, this one is sure to delight all those of you who feel that indian recipes are difficult to follow.
It is always worth having such special recipes up your sleeve for those lazy supper nights or when you have unexpected guests at home.This one is versatile - you can wrap up inside flatbreads & veggies to make rolls or top your pizza with it.I sometimes shred the leftovers into bits & stuff inside puff pastry dough & bake for a quick brunch.
Spicy Chicken Fry
To marinate Chicken
- 2 tablespoon plain yogurt
- 1.5 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon kashmiri chilli powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 lb boneless chicken cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoon mustard oil or any cooking oil you use
- ½ teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 2 green chillies (hot) chopped (adjust to tolerance)
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorn
- ¼ teaspoon salt or to taste
- Marinate the chicken in all the ingredients listed for 20 minutes, refrigerated. Once ready to cook, take out the marinated chicken from the refrigerator & let sit on countertop.
- Using a mortar & pestle, coarsely grind the coriander, black pepeprcorn & cumin.
- In a wide mouthed pan, heat up the oil on high.If using mustard oil, heat it to a point when its slightly smoky.For other oils, heat up till you see ripples on the surface.
- Once the oil is heated, reduce the heat to medium & wait for 2 minutes. Add the mustard seeds & let them crackle. About 5-7 seconds.
- Add the chopped green chillies next & let them crisp up for 10-15 seconds.Â Tip :- Be extra careful, mustard seeds & chillies splutter a lot when added to oil.
- Next, add the coarsely ground spices to the oil & stir for about 30-35 seconds or till you smell the aroma.
- Adding marinated chicken to the pan and stir-fry over high heat for few minutes, tossing continuously.The idea is to lightly brown the outside of the chicken but still keep it juicy inside.
- Lower the heat once all the chicken has been added. Add the leftover marinade(if any) & stir frequently. Cook on low heat till the oil separates on the sides of the pan and the chicken is cooked through. About 10-13 minutes. Chicken cooks fast because the pieces are go tiny! Taste and adjust the salt, toss well and remove.
- Before serving,you could garnish with chopped cilantro.