Spiked Pomegranate Ginger Slushie. A drink so perfect for the holidays, both with its gorgeous color and the flavors. Unsweetened pomegranate juice (you can press your own too for its pomegranate season) blended with homemade ginger syrup and orange juice. It is bright and refreshing for the holidays.
Homemade Ginger Syrup
Ginger syrup is one the most warming things to have on hand at this time of the year. It is so simple to make and takes only a few minutes. Fresh ginger and pomegranate pair quite well and this drink is really refreshing and bright.
You can use ginger syrup in smoothies or any drink where you want add a little spice. During the holidays, I sometimes brushing the baked goods with ginger syrup to moisten them. Ginger syrup isextremely simple to make and the entire process takes a few minutes and the result is an extremely perfumed syrup at minimal cost.
You can switch up the spirit depending on what you fancy, but vodka or gin pair quite well. A touch of rum might goes well as well. This cocktail is one of my favorite things to make during holidays and sip on near the fireplace. We dont have snowdays in Las Vegas but the temperatures can get quite chilly and this drink is just so warming for those days.
Few Tips and Tricks
- Pomegranate Juice - Since we are already using ginger syrup, it is best to use unsweetened pomegranate juice. You can also use fresh homemade pomegranate juice. Choose in season fruit that is naturally sweet.
- Citrus - I use fresh squeezed orange juice(pulp and all) in my recipe. Since pomegranate juice is already tart, you do not need a lot but citrus does add a lot of brightness to this drink so please do not skip. You can use lemon juice or blood orange juice as well.
- Sweetness - We like the slushie on a sweeter side so I use 1 cup of syrup. You can cut down to ¾ cup if you wish.
- Consumption - It is best to serve the slushies as soon as you make them. Since these are blended frozen drinks, they cannot be made ahead else they will be watery.
Pomegranate Ginger Slushie
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 7-8 fresh ginger slices
Pomegranate Ginger Slushie
- 4 cup ice
- 2 cup unsweetened pomegranate jucie
- ⅓ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 cup ginger syrup
- ⅓ cup gin
- pinch of sea salt
- Fresh pomegranate arils (to serve)
- Combine all the ingredients for ginger syrup in a in a sauce pan and bring to a slow boil. Let simmer for 15-20 minutes so that the flavor of ginger steeps. Switch the stove off and let stand until the syrup cools down. Strain into a container in store in the fridge for 2-3 weeks. You will get about 1.5- 2 cup syrup. Store extra. You can use the ginger in baking if you wish.
- Place all the ingredients for the in jar of a high speed blender. On smoothie mode or if your blender has a slushy side, pulse until the drink is slushie.
- Pour into serving glasses, garnish with pomegranate arils or as you please. Enjoy!