She simply calls it ginger garlic chicken but this recipe is way more special than that. It does use a lot of ginger and garlic, but then most chicken dishes do 🙂 This is one of mom's incredibly delicious chicken recipe and she has been asking me to make it for him for a long time.We usually get boneless chicken so it took me a while to get to it. The first chance I got to visit our halal middle eastern store last week, I got bone in chicken. This recipe, it needs chicken with bones because the main flavor comes from there. The method of cooking and the short list of ingredients here will not allow for much flavor if you use boneless chicken. There are no powdered spices and the chicken cooks in its own juices with herbs and green chillies while you bhuno(saute) it, bhuno it for good half hour without halting. Its very easy to make. The little masala that there is, it is full of ghee caramalized onions, garlic ginger and table spoons of thick full fat yogurt. Finished with fresh herbs like cilantro and mint leaves and a good dose of kasuri methi, the chicken is delicious if served as soon as it is cooked.
The only thing to be kept in mind is a wide heavy bottom kadhai or cast iron pot, its a must for that beautiful caramelization , smokiness and even cooking on open stove. An easy weeknight dish which will take you under 30 mins to make and it will still bring the feeling of "something special" to the table. On days we had unannocuned guests over, mom quickly whipped up this dish.You can even serve these chicken pieces as starters or with some doughy naan or rotis and some pyaz for a complete meal.
Garlic Chicken (Dry)
- 1.5 lb bone in chicken skinless, (cut into medium pieces)
- 3 tablespoon whole plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoon ghee
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 large bay leaf
- ¾ cup onion thinly sliced
- 4-5 green chilli (hot) slit, (or to taste)
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1.5 teaspoon kasuri methi
- ½ cup chopped green herbs mint & cilantro
- In a large bowl, marinate the chicken in yogurt, ginger & garlic and salt. Massage the chicken well, cover and let marinate refrigerated for atleast 2 hours, overnight is better.
- Take the chicken out of the fridge an hour before ready to cook. Heat up ghee in a wide, heavy bottomed kadai/pot.
- Temper the hot ghee with cumin, bay and cardamom. After 15 seconds, add the onions.
- Add the green chillies as well. Once the onions are browned, lower the heat and add the marinated chicken. Keep on mixing continuously for 5-7 minutes to avoid curdling of yogurt.
- Once the chicken starts to cook, add the black pepper and salt.Keep the flame on medium low. Don't cover right now else the chicken will become watery.
- Keep on mixing around, tossing and turning regularly for next 25-30 minutes till the chicken is browned and cooked through. Cover for 5 minutes towards the end so that chicken is cooked through. You will see the chicken starts to separate from the bone.
- Add the fresh herbs and the kauri methi. Saute for 4-5 mins with the herbs. Finish with cream and serve immediately.